Any info on setting up BT comms between a PDA and a PC?

Last response: in Technologies
Share
June 18, 2004 1:41:36 PM

I am after some FAQ on how to do this. I have googled but can't find
anything relevant.

The PDA is a Tosh E800 (BT version) and I need to do file transfer
between it and a PC running win2000. I have tried a D-link BT-USB
dongle which discovers the PDA (and vice versa) but cannot get what
they call FTP to work.

The Tosh manual is useless...

I did manage to get the PDA to dial my ISP, using a Nokia 6310i as a
GSM modem, over BT. However this seems to have had a side effect in
that the PDA goes online spuriously every so often, so I've had to
disable BT on the phone when I am not actually needing it.

The whole networking config on the PDA (pocket/PC) is bizzare. Every
dialog I can go into eventually demands a phone number; there seems to
be no way to configure it for non-dial-up networking.

Also the predefined names like "My ISP" and "My Network" aren't
supposed to be used, according to some info I found. One is supposed
to do New and create new names. However I did manage to get the above
mentioned dial-up to work by configuring it under My ISP...

There also appears to be a clear bug (ppc 2003) in that if there is
*anything* in the Outbox, the PDA tries to go online every X minutes
(presumably to send the emails) even if the "X" figure is greyed out
in the dialog where you can configure automatic email checking every X
mins.

The spurious dial-outs were not caused by anything in the Outbox but
they may have been the result of my attempts to set up networking
connections.... I think I need to do a hard reset and start all over
again, but I have not found any info on how to do networking
generally.

I've set up networking on many many windoze PCs in my job, but have
never seen anything so opaque as this...

Peter.
E-mail replies to peter4400@peter2000XY.co.uk but remove the X and the Y.

More about : info setting comms pda

Anonymous
June 19, 2004 1:16:40 AM

Have a look in our Bluetooth Guides for some of these things you want to
do...

Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):

"Peter" <nowhere@anon47.com> wrote in message

> I am after some FAQ on how to do this. I have googled but can't find
> anything relevant.
>
> The PDA is a Tosh E800 (BT version) and I need to do file transfer
> between it and a PC running win2000. I have tried a D-link BT-USB
> dongle which discovers the PDA (and vice versa) but cannot get what
> they call FTP to work.
>
> The Tosh manual is useless...
>
> I did manage to get the PDA to dial my ISP, using a Nokia 6310i as a
> GSM modem, over BT. However this seems to have had a side effect in
> that the PDA goes online spuriously every so often, so I've had to
> disable BT on the phone when I am not actually needing it.
>
> The whole networking config on the PDA (pocket/PC) is bizzare. Every
> dialog I can go into eventually demands a phone number; there seems to
> be no way to configure it for non-dial-up networking.
>
> Also the predefined names like "My ISP" and "My Network" aren't
> supposed to be used, according to some info I found. One is supposed
> to do New and create new names. However I did manage to get the above
> mentioned dial-up to work by configuring it under My ISP...
>
> There also appears to be a clear bug (ppc 2003) in that if there is
> *anything* in the Outbox, the PDA tries to go online every X minutes
> (presumably to send the emails) even if the "X" figure is greyed out
> in the dialog where you can configure automatic email checking every X
> mins.
>
> The spurious dial-outs were not caused by anything in the Outbox but
> they may have been the result of my attempts to set up networking
> connections.... I think I need to do a hard reset and start all over
> again, but I have not found any info on how to do networking
> generally.
>
> I've set up networking on many many windoze PCs in my job, but have
> never seen anything so opaque as this...
>

> Peter.
> --
> Return address is invalid to help stop junk mail.
> E-mail replies to peter4400@peter2000XY.co.uk but remove the X and the Y.
> Please do NOT copy usenet posts to email - it is NOT necessary.
June 19, 2004 1:16:41 AM

"Mauricio Freitas" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

>Have a look in our Bluetooth Guides for some of these things you want to
>do...
>
>--
>Mauricio Freitas, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
>Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
>Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
>http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=2028
>Handango discount: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/handango_code.asp

Excellent stuff, thank you :)  I always thought farmers in NZ had
better things to do than this :)  :)

Peter.
E-mail replies to peter4400@peter2000XY.co.uk but remove the X and the Y.
June 19, 2004 4:14:55 AM

> "Mauricio Freitas" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>
> >Have a look in our Bluetooth Guides for some of these things you want to
> >do...
> >
> >--
> >Mauricio Freitas, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
> >Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
> >Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
> >http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=2028
> >Handango discount: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/handango_code.asp
>
> Excellent stuff, thank you :)  I always thought farmers in NZ had
> better things to do than this :)  :)

That's an idea. Bluetooth enable the sheep around here ;)

Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
June 23, 2004 7:50:57 PM

"Mauricio Freitas" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

>> >http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=2028
>> >Handango discount: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/handango_code.asp

I should mention that following the instructions in the above, I have
got not only internet access (via a 6310i) but also BT sync working
perfectly.

However, even starting with a freshly reset PDA, I find two things

1. The PDA occassionally tries to access some other network
(unsuccessfully). There is nothing in the Outbox. But this is Windows,
after all.......... :)

2. The Connect function in the Microsoft auto sync software only works
for the USB connection (via the cradle). It never works via a COM port
over BT, even though just leaving the PDA in proximity does cause sync
to find it, and it works fine. Is this a known bug in the sync
software?

Peter.
E-mail replies to peter4400@peter2000XY.co.uk but remove the X and the Y.
June 27, 2004 7:34:58 PM

> I should mention that following the instructions in the above, I have
> got not only internet access (via a 6310i) but also BT sync working
> perfectly.
>
> However, even starting with a freshly reset PDA, I find two things
>
> 1. The PDA occassionally tries to access some other network
> (unsuccessfully). There is nothing in the Outbox. But this is Windows,
> after all.......... :)
>
> 2. The Connect function in the Microsoft auto sync software only works
> for the USB connection (via the cradle). It never works via a COM port
> over BT, even though just leaving the PDA in proximity does cause sync
> to find it, and it works fine. Is this a known bug in the sync
> software?
>

> Peter.

1. You probably have the Pocket Outlook Inbox set to connect every "X"
minutes and check for new mail
2. It is by design. The Connect does not work on the Pocket PC, although is
does on Smartphone :(

Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
June 28, 2004 6:06:05 PM

"Mauricio Freitas" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

>> 1. The PDA occassionally tries to access some other network
>> (unsuccessfully). There is nothing in the Outbox. But this is Windows,
>> after all.......... :)
>>
>> 2. The Connect function in the Microsoft auto sync software only works
>> for the USB connection (via the cradle). It never works via a COM port
>> over BT, even though just leaving the PDA in proximity does cause sync
>> to find it, and it works fine. Is this a known bug in the sync
>> software?
>>

>> Peter.
>
>1. You probably have the Pocket Outlook Inbox set to connect every "X"
>minutes and check for new mail

I don't. It is disabled (un-checked) so the time period is grayed out.
However the connection still takes place every X minutes, where X is
the greyed-out number.

But it doesn't reliably exhibit this bug. It seems to do it for a
while and then after about a day it stops.

I think the appearance of this bug may be related to attempts to
configure some other kind of networking on the PDA, even if the
attempt to make it work was not successful (which, with bluetooth, is
usually the case :) )

>2. It is by design. The Connect does not work on the Pocket PC, although is
>does on Smartphone :(

I am not sure if I made it clear... this is the Connect function on
the windows2000-based sync software. It works via USB, and might work
via a physical COM port (not tried it) but it never finds the PDA on
the end of a virtual (via BT) COM port... even though auto sync does
subsequently work via BT.

There is another bug in the Microsoft BT sync software. Normally, if
nothing much has changed in the PDA, the BT sync activity lasts about
10 seconds and then it disconnects. Let's say you install an
application to the PDA, the way most larger ones seem to install (run
the .exe on the PC *while* the auto sync connection is live; the
install software discovers the PDA via the sync connection). If the
installation takes longer than the 10 seconds, it gets cut off! IOW,
the BT sync function is not aware that another (PC based) application
is talking to the PDA through it. But if the sync is being done via
USB, it works OK. So I cannot install anything but the smallest
applications on the PDA unless I am using the *USB* sync mode.

There is no configuration of any relevance, that I can find, in the
Microsoft sync software. Maybe in the registry?

Peter.
E-mail replies to peter4400@peter2000XY.co.uk but remove the X and the Y.
June 29, 2004 11:22:17 AM

> "Mauricio Freitas" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>
> >> 1. The PDA occassionally tries to access some other network
> >> (unsuccessfully). There is nothing in the Outbox. But this is Windows,
> >> after all.......... :)
> >>
> >> 2. The Connect function in the Microsoft auto sync software only works
> >> for the USB connection (via the cradle). It never works via a COM port
> >> over BT, even though just leaving the PDA in proximity does cause sync
> >> to find it, and it works fine. Is this a known bug in the sync
> >> software?
> >>

> >> Peter.
> >
> >1. You probably have the Pocket Outlook Inbox set to connect every "X"
> >minutes and check for new mail
>
> I don't. It is disabled (un-checked) so the time period is grayed out.
> However the connection still takes place every X minutes, where X is
> the greyed-out number.
>
> But it doesn't reliably exhibit this bug. It seems to do it for a
> while and then after about a day it stops.
>
> I think the appearance of this bug may be related to attempts to
> configure some other kind of networking on the PDA, even if the
> attempt to make it work was not successful (which, with bluetooth, is
> usually the case :) )
>
> >2. It is by design. The Connect does not work on the Pocket PC, although
is
> >does on Smartphone :(
>
> I am not sure if I made it clear... this is the Connect function on
> the windows2000-based sync software. It works via USB, and might work
> via a physical COM port (not tried it) but it never finds the PDA on
> the end of a virtual (via BT) COM port... even though auto sync does
> subsequently work via BT.
>
> There is another bug in the Microsoft BT sync software. Normally, if
> nothing much has changed in the PDA, the BT sync activity lasts about
> 10 seconds and then it disconnects. Let's say you install an
> application to the PDA, the way most larger ones seem to install (run
> the .exe on the PC *while* the auto sync connection is live; the
> install software discovers the PDA via the sync connection). If the
> installation takes longer than the 10 seconds, it gets cut off! IOW,
> the BT sync function is not aware that another (PC based) application
> is talking to the PDA through it. But if the sync is being done via
> USB, it works OK. So I cannot install anything but the smallest
> applications on the PDA unless I am using the *USB* sync mode.
>
> There is no configuration of any relevance, that I can find, in the
> Microsoft sync software. Maybe in the registry?

1.Check on your Pocket PC, ActiveSync, Tools | Options, if the box "Use
mobile schedule to sync with this PC" is set. Also check that Mobile Schedul
is set to Manually in both dropdow lists.

2.I can't find a Connect button on ActiveSync on the desktop. It has a Sync
button. That one is used when you have ActiveSync configured to Synchronise
on request only or when the PDA is inserted.The ActiveSync on the desktop
acts as a server, and the ActiveSync on the Pocket PC is the client
connecting to it. The Pocket PC side does not have some server capabilities,
and all ActiveSync actions always start from the PDA side, unless the
connection is already established and the synchronisation is set as
described on begin of (2).

Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):