Advise needed on NTFS disk recovery software.

Hello-

I have an 80g disk a friend brought me. The disk was used for mp3 and
jpeg storage. One day it just "went out" , and was not recognized by
bios or WinXP. I suggested he download the Seagate diagnostic tool
and run it. It found 3 bad sectors and fixed them. The drive is now
recognized by bios and Win XP.... BUT the volume contained on it is
not recognized by windows. Tried updating mbr, but no go.
(unrecognized format msg)
What is a good recovery tool to get the files off the disk before
format??? No data has been overwritten, so it SHOULD be recoverable.

I have tried a few shareware progs that READ the disk, and file tree,
but fail to recover. Any advise? Some of this stuff on the disk
cannot be duplicated (pictures, videos), and I'd really like to be
able to get this stuff back for him.
Thanx-

§kullywag©-

Try booting to xp cd,recovery,press enter key for password,at cmd
screen type:DiskPart,locate the extra drives letter,then press Esc,back
in cmd,type:CHKDSK E: /R E: being the drive,/R repairs bad sectors
to a drive..When thru,type:EXIT