RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
The 6870 is on it's compatibility list... Might be worthwhile to actually give Arctic Cooling a call or email them to be certain.

While I'm not certain of this Zalman VF3000A will work, it might be worthwhile to investigate it with Zalman directly. It does include a VRM heatsink, but info on further compatibility at Zalman's site isn't available.

Both coolers are technically triple-slot models, so if that's an issue, you'll need to keep looking for alternatives.

P.S. If the Arctic Cooling model can fit cards from the 2XXX series up to the 6XXX series, it stands to reason the Zalman can as well. The only issue may lie with a proper VRM heatsink.

jeepster50

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
Basically what I found((as RazberyBandit mentioned) was that if cooler is listed as compatible in lower series cards, it will fit on to the corresponding higher series card. For instance 4870-5870-6870, reference cards of-course.
Only thing to keep an eye out for would be (if your card has a back plate or not) the type of screws included to hold it in place- Knurled, Button-Head, etc.
Edit; and how far they stick out for crossfire.

Yah I am looking for a dual slot at the max.I am looking to crossfire someday so I would like to leave that option open.

One of the things i've heard about the 68xx series is that they've moved some stuff around so it actually has different placement than with the 48xx and 58xx series so normal coolers won't work.

jeepster50

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
It seems all the good ones take up 3 slots but there is a dual slot passive AC Accelero, if you have a wind tunnel in your case. Without fans it's probably best suited for lower end cards though.
Edit; look at the FAQ, it shows a XFX 6870; http://www.gelidsolutions.com/products/index.php?lid=1&cid=17&id=52&tab=5
It's available(but it's 52mm H =3slots) here; http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g40/c21/s65/list/p1/Air_Cooling-VGA_HeatsinksCoolers-ATI_Card-Page1.html
Edit2; The AC Twin Turbo is better than the Gelid one!

TRENDING THREADS