Unlocked MSI GTX465 GE (470) freezing during games

Status
Not open for further replies.

fennei01

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Hello,this is my first time building my own machine and I put in an MSI GTX 465 Golden Edition, which I had researched and found out that it was really the hardware of a 470 and many people were successfully putting the GTX470 Bios on and bringing the card to its full potential. My problem is that the video crashes in almost any game after anywhere from 5 - 20 minutes of game play. I think it may be under voltaged but MSI afterburner isn't letting me adjust even though I changed the settings to allow it it and I don't know what to set it at even if I could adjust it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
The chips are binned differently so just because someone else is ok at 1000mv doesn't mean you will be. The GF100s are rated up to 1087 so you can try bumping it up some more and see if it becomes stable. One of my 465s came stock at 1025, the other came at 987, I run them both at 1050 otherwise my 830/1780 overclock is not stable.

What is your power supply situation?

fennei01

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
I tried it underclocked and it still crashed on me before I even made it through the opening cinematic of crysis 2. If it helps the crashes are either with the video freezing and the audio continuing to run or the entire system will freeze. Sometimes if i let it sit for a minute it will crash out of the game and pop up a bubble about the drivers encountering an error. I have reinstalled the drivers multiple times and even completely formatted my hard drive and started fresh.As for locking the shaders, I'm guessing that means to have it linked to the core clock, which it has been the whole time, the settings are : 607/1214/1674 which I understand to be the stock settings for a 470. Thanks for your response, let me know if you need any more information.

fennei01

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
just an update, I downloaded a new version of MSI Afterburner and it has support for the voltage control on the card. I teaked it to the specifications that others were haveing good results at and ran it in Kombustor for less than 2 minutes before getting an error.
Errormessageandoverclockinginfo.png

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
The chips are binned differently so just because someone else is ok at 1000mv doesn't mean you will be. The GF100s are rated up to 1087 so you can try bumping it up some more and see if it becomes stable. One of my 465s came stock at 1025, the other came at 987, I run them both at 1050 otherwise my 830/1780 overclock is not stable.

What is your power supply situation?

Solution

fennei01

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
I just bumped it up to 1050 and its working perfectly! Thank you very much, this is my first build, let alone first attempt at anything like this so I was worried that messing with the voltage too much was going to fry my card. I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.