Pc power led flashing

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 14, 2011 8:52:50 PM

Hello, i am new in this forum.

i have some questions to ask, below

recently my PC PCIE graphicscard Nvidia Geforce 8500GT startet to make funny noises and suddenly my PC shots down, several times.

i took out the graphicscard very gently and the fan had lot of dust inside, so i just cleaned the fan by blowing with my mouth.
Then i did put the graphics card into the PC again, the PC wont start up anymore.
i have another PC with a ATI Radeon HD 3400 PCIE, i replaced the one before with the ATI Radeon gfx card, every thing went ok, it works now.
but i need the ATI Radeon gfx card the other PC, so i decided to buy a new graphics card in copenhagne, i went to a computer store and bougt a
ATI Radeon PCIE HD 5850 and did put it inside my pc, and switch my pc on, suddenly my PC power led is flashing 5-7 times with 1 secomd interval, then
continous to boot windos 7 normal.

i tried testing every thing with Sisoft sandra 2010 every things seems to work ok, i did use my PC for a couple of hours works ok.
i have installed the drives for the graphics card.

i tried to replace the old gfx card with the one thats works, its works with this gfx card (ATI Radeon HD 3400), my PC power led dosent flash when using thsi gfx card!.

i tried to Load BIOS to default, nothings seems to work, i mean i still get those flashing with the power led with the new ATI Radeon HD 5850 ( i think its 5850).
Even if i disconnect the SATA DVD burner to insure more power for the PC, it dosent have any effects!.

I idd tried to put the new gfx card into another PC, it got fucked up, blue screen erros, freezing strange gray noise screen.

What could possible be wrong with my pc and gfx card ?, i am stuck!.

is it memory, motherboard, psu, graphics card (maybe the graphicscard is defect?).

i am now using the ATI Radeon HD 5850 on my HP PC, atleast it works well in win 7 with games and HD video.

my PC IS

AMD Athlon x2 dualcore 2.4 ghz, 3gb ram ddr2 pc26400, western digital HDD-
Windows 7, 64 bit home premium
Adward Bios (i think!).

there is no onboard gfx card on my motherboard.

More about : power led flashing

July 14, 2011 8:56:26 PM

but as metioned before, still same problems when startiing up the pc / power led flash 5-7 times!.
July 14, 2011 9:03:23 PM

Take your computer and simply look around it and make sure you didn't bump any of the wires out. You would be amazed how delicate the post plugs can be.

Also, if that doesn't work, unplug your computer, press the power to remove all remaining power in the caps, after that remove the battery from the motherboard and press the power button once more. Wait at least 10 seconds to be sure and then place the battery back in. This resets the entire bios, so if their were any issues with the bios during startup, this will fix that. You will have to re-enter date and time as well as any other fine tuning with the bios.
Related resources
July 14, 2011 9:27:08 PM

ok, i will try that tommorow.
maybe i need a flash update for the bios ? (i am not happy to flash the bios, i heart horror stories "pc wont start up, after flashing etc....).

July 14, 2011 9:29:12 PM

... The only reason people fave issues with flashing bios is because they don't know what they are doing
July 14, 2011 9:29:52 PM

I think you don't have enough power to power up the 5850, what's your PSU?
July 14, 2011 9:36:50 PM

wait, do i have to complety unplug my pc for the power cord and discconect all the sata wire as well molex plugs etc.
do i have to take out the battery and wait 10 second ? (i know i have to be carefull not to flip the battery on the minus pol, it has to be the rigth side with the right minus/plus pol!).

the bios dosent reallyhave much info, but i can auto detect most devices like hdd, dvd, there is only sata ena/diabled and some other things to tamper with, this will be a easy task).
July 14, 2011 9:38:57 PM

my psu says, below (as i remember it).

maxium power output = 300W.
July 14, 2011 9:43:07 PM

the ati 5850 hd graphics card is a really inenxpensive card only 320 kr or hmm, 32£ or 60$ i think!, so it dosent suck much power i guess, but who knows!.
July 14, 2011 9:53:47 PM

the geforce had the same problems with power led flashing.
i had used the geforce for a long times did`nt coursed any problems before.

i was only when i was experince problems with geforce card and swithing gfx card!

yes, i did discharge my self by touthing the metal plate on the power suply. before putting my hands inside the pc.
July 14, 2011 9:59:32 PM

henrik2008 said:
wait, do i have to complety unplug my pc for the power cord and discconect all the sata wire as well molex plugs etc.
do i have to take out the battery and wait 10 second ? (i know i have to be carefull not to flip the battery on the minus pol, it has to be the rigth side with the right minus/plus pol!).

the bios dosent reallyhave much info, but i can auto detect most devices like hdd, dvd, there is only sata ena/diabled and some other things to tamper with, this will be a easy task).

No you don't have to do all that, just remove the power cord, press power, remove battery, press power again, place battery in again, plug in power cord.
July 14, 2011 10:27:05 PM

I realy think your 300W PSU may cause a problem here.
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2011 2:47:30 AM

Doesn't the card recommend 500W minimum... I also think it's due to your power supply
July 15, 2011 8:46:30 AM

now i tried to check for loose cable molex, sata ,ide what ever i find in the computer jungle, ha, ha, no, i did check every cable, all cables are firmly atached to the pc.
i did took out the battery for 30 seconds, and did put it in, and did go to bios to confirm and did insert alle nessecry bios detiails (i remeber them all).
SAME PROBLEMS, PC POWER LED FLASHING A COUPLE OF TIMES, i know the flashing means something important , but i cant recall what it means .(as i remmeber it, 2-3 times beep or flashing means memoy and properly 5-7 times properly means power suply or pcie card suck to much power??).

well, i just hope the pc can last for 6 month, because i bought this pc in a super market, a demo model cheap, because i was lasy, i mean i use tyo build a couple of pc before and did a couple repai of pc before.
this time i am going to invest a lot o money (i dont know properly 2000$ (it should be 10000 kr i think), but i dont have that kind of money right now i need to save my money, but i will just buy a couple of things each momth, first win7, plus memory, next month motherboard and cpu, and then comes the rest).

i am not going to upgrade this old rubiish hp pc.

damm now i just spended 1 gfx card and 1 win7 for nothing.

July 15, 2011 8:49:56 AM

ok ,maybe it is the psu, it properly causeing the problems, but i know midt range gfx card needs an ektsra molex plugs from the power spuply in order to worrk properly, this gfxcard dosent have because pretty lausy (ha, ha).
i am not goint to offer a couple of 100 $ just for a new psu..
July 15, 2011 8:53:27 AM

maybe i should check this new gfx card for ekstra details about power reqirement, maybe its need more power, that my pc psu cant provide ?.
the question here is, can i dammagde my pc, if thsi gfc card has a insufficient psu ?, i am a little bit worrided!! (uhh). no more strsss.
July 15, 2011 9:43:06 AM

i was worng with graphics card, is not a 5850 but a ATI RADEON 5450.
July 15, 2011 11:46:15 AM

and the other one that works is a ARI RADEON PCIE 3450 HD.
i deciced to put back this graphics back inside the pc, nwo every things works perfect, no more flashing blink power led or any other obscure errros.
i allso talk to some pc expert (as most of you are or atleast many of you guys have lots of experince i just know), said dont use this new gfc card becuase it will eventaully dammagde you psu.

i even thought taking out the psu from the ph pc i think i have an old cabinet woth a very power full 500-600 watt powersuply with sata etc...

i called the techninian at hp in denmark, and did ask about this power led flashing, he said to me mmaybe this is a normal thing, properly he mean i looks more beautyfull with a flsahing led, he said i could send it to reapir, but i did`nt know what it was, ohh my god, they are so stupid at hp.
i am not going to send it to repair, becuase they dont know how to reapir it, i just know, many people that sending their low budget pc to repair has lot of trouble.
and since i fix the problems myself and did my on repair, why do on earth do i need to send it to repair. i even have a mac pro, which i changed memory, dvd and hdd, plus i am going to buy a mac gfx card, i will never send any thing for repair.
i did 2 pc flashing bios and 1 soundcard flashing bios update firmware sucesfully, but thats the only thing i am afraid off.

this pc i bought is a familiy pc, for firt time user, which are supriced, if the can use notepad, and if they have any trouble with their pc, they just sendt the hp pc to hp and pay lots of money, this pc is not for me, really i am not that kind of a person, as said before i have been building pce before, how could i been so careless buying this lausy pc.

just wait and see if, i decide to change to psu in my ph pc, it will not take it, properly the powercables dosent fit on the motherboard, this is what you are getting if you buy somethiing from the spuermarked, my god, i will be so happy when i am going to buy a real pc and build it myself, cant wait.

July 15, 2011 12:05:09 PM

there is some spelling erros, but i am not allowed to correct it, so here is the correct text version.

and the other one that works is a ATI RADEON PCIE 3450 HD.
I deciced to put back this graphics back inside the PC, NOW every things works perfect, no more flashing blink power led or any other obscure errros.
i allso talk to some PC expert (as most of you are or at least many of you guys have lots of experince in PC, just know), said dont use this new gfx card becuase it will eventaully dammagde you PSU.

i even thought taking out the PSU from the HP PC, i think i have an old cabinet woth a very powerfull 500-600 watt powersuply with SATA etc...

I called up the techninian at HP in Denmark, and did ask about this power led flashing thing, he said to me maybe this is a normal thing, properly he meant, i looks more beautyfull that way, with the flashing led, he said i could send it to reapir, but he did`nt know what it was causing the problems, ohh my god, they are so stupid at HP.
I am not going to send it to repair, becuase they dont know how to reapir it them self at HP, i just know, many people that sending their low budget PC to repair has lot of trouble when the PC has returning the owner.
Since i did fix the problems myself and did my on repair, why do on earth do i need to send it to repair. i even have a Mac Pro, which i changed the memory, DVD and HDD, plus i am going to buy a Mac gfx card, i will never send any thing for repair, I DONT TRUST THEM, eperince!!!.
I did 2 PC flashing BIOS and 1 soundcard flashing BIOS update firmware sucesfully, but thats the only thing i am afraid off, i dont that generallly.

This PC i bought is a familiy PC, for firstt time user, which are supriced, if the can use notepad, and if they have any trouble with their PC, they just sendt the PC to HP and pay lots of money, hoping all problems is solved, this PC is not for me, really i am not that kind of a person, buying budget PC, as said before i have been building PCe before, how could i been so careless buying this lausy PC. (NO, i am not saying i am a expert, i just like to do my own stuff, my way).

Just wait and see if, i decide to change to PSU in my HP PC, it will not take it, properly the power cables dosent fit on the motherboard, this is what you are getting, if you buy somethiing from the SUPERMARKET, my god, i will be so happy when i am going to buy a real PC and build it myself, cant wait.
If i had a desent PC or did build a PC, i would never ran into this sort of problems.
July 15, 2011 1:27:51 PM

I think i did found a desent graphics card that will work on my PC.
its a Nvdia Geforce 430 GT 1gb DDR3 PCIE. its cheap anyway.
Acording to Nvida , this gfx card only reqire a system PSU of min. 300W, and is great fo old PC`s, like Pentium 4 ect..
Do i dare to buy this cheap graphics card ?.
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2011 3:48:48 PM

what is your psu specification? i mean the amps on each rail?
July 15, 2011 5:04:08 PM

as i recall it its, 3.5 volt on pci i think and 5 volt on pcie

wait, i have to open the pc, i will do just that right now...

5v = 25A MAX
3,3V = 18A MAX

COMBINED POWER ON +5 AND 3.3V RAILS MUST NOT EXEED 175W
COMBINED POWER ON +12 AND 5V RAILS MUST ON EXEED 268W

ALL TOTAL MAX OUTPUT = 300W.
THATS WHAT IS SAYS ON MY PSU.

July 15, 2011 7:08:53 PM

3.3v is for pci and pcie slots, that means 18A MAX.
July 15, 2011 7:24:13 PM

henrik2008 said:
i was worng with graphics card, is not a 5850 but a ATI RADEON 5450.

There's HUGE difference, between 5850 and 5450, 5850 is like 150-170+ W, while 5450 is <25 W /and doesn't need a dedicated power cable/ and 3450 needs about the same amount of power if I am not wrong. And a good quality 300W PSU may be able to power up a system with a Radeon 5450 /it depends also on other components/.
But again, it also depends of the quality of the PSU.

But in this case it looks to me more like something is wrong with the graphics card itself.
And why you don't try to put this 5450 on your other system - the one with the 3450, and see what happens then /this system should be able to support a 5450/?
July 15, 2011 8:21:21 PM

i did try to put the 5450 on other system, didnt work, bluee screen erros, freezing.
as stated at AMD.com website the 5450 reqire min 400W before it will properly.

July 15, 2011 8:22:19 PM

i mean 5450 needs 400W PSU.
July 15, 2011 9:45:20 PM

can i aply ohms law ?, i want to calulate each rail or pcie /pci port, how much 1 port can take.

cant remmeber how to calculate it, but i think its like this U=R*I
to find watt i think its p (w)= I/U ?.
I know atleast a geforce 210/ 220 need only 30W for the card itself, that should be plenty, since i dont have any pci or other devices.
and 1 pice or pci port can go up to 175w.

i just find out i can allso use a geforce 210/220 they only reqire 300w psu.

(if its not the motherboard).
tomorrow i will get my money back and buy a geforce 220, that should do it.
July 15, 2011 9:51:47 PM

"i am now using the ATI Radeon HD 5850 on my HP PC, atleast it works well in win 7 with games and HD video. "
So this Radeon 5450 /not 5850/ is actually working well on another PC, is it true?
July 15, 2011 9:54:47 PM

Actually Tom's says a GF210 needs more power as the 5450, other sources comply. Look at the articles.
July 16, 2011 10:01:20 AM

i can only refer to AMD website, saying 5450 reqire a system psu of 400w.
and nvidia is telling me, that geforce 210 take 30w on the pcie port and a psu of 300w minium.

i dont whats the true, i dont care (not to offend anybody), i just want to get this stupid gfx card to work properly, whatever happen to the bought 5450 dosent matter if it is defect, i will get my money back, from this rubish card, and buy a a geforc 210. now i invested a win 7 and a gfx card for this stupid pc.
it sound very weird and not realistic, that a 5450 should course a power led flashing problem, becuase when the pc boots up, i dont think the gdfx card is using much power, only when used for heavy gaming then is should use lots of power.
to be true i think it is a motherboard defect ???.
but why on earth does my ati radeon 3450 works perfect on this pc, NO FLASHING POWER LED OR ANY OTHER KIND OF TROUBLE ITS JUST WORKS.
I REALLY DO NOT HAVE A CLUE WHATS GOING ON ??.
July 16, 2011 6:23:57 PM

yes, properly gt210 is consuming more power/w, but they (nividia) only mean i think, that the system must atleast have a psu of minium 300w, and if the crad itself realy takes more power than specified on nvidia website, itas properly true.

i bought the geforce gt 210 pcie today, and insertet it, itnow works perfectly, without any flashing power led ect...
and the other pc works welll with radeon 3450.
so every thing is ok.

iy properly as the psu and the graphics that did the problems.

July 18, 2011 3:56:26 PM

geforce 210 is performing lausy, the performance is far from a gt8500 which is relative slow.
ok i did`nt expect any suprice or fast perofrmance but just a ordinary good speed, but no, is really slow (the pcis not slow, only when playing games, which i rary dont do!). i need to buy something better!.
!