[RAM] upgrade my ram to 1866 or 2000

psyduck89

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Hi, I am using Corsair Dominator GT c8 2000mhz RAM [CMT4GX3M2A2000C8] on Maximus formula III.
Since i got 4 slot and i just used 2 slot, i am planning to upgrade my ram.

Here is my problem.
1) One of my mobo ram slot are block by my cpu cooler V6gt, So, i am just able to get only 1 ram.

2) I cant find any ram that is 2000mhz with 8GB size. (since I'm just able to get 1 ram, so I am trying to get big capacity ram)
isit ok to find a different brand ram instead of corsair?

3) should I looking for a 2000mhz ram or I can just get any ram and then overclock it to 2000mhz (since I need to overclock to make sure both of my ram cas are same)?

Please provide me some opinion to help me make the decision.. Thx!! :D

psyduck89

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010

but my problem is, i only left 1 ram slot, i cant just buy dual ram and just use one of it right?
is there any ram is 8gb and with 1866++ mhz??

psyduck89

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010

ops.. sorry.. i din realise its low profile ram.. :sleep:
so if this ram can fit in my mobo, will it also compatible with my existing ram?
isit there a risk that this ram and my ram not compatible?

There is always the chance that the ram will not work together , so the best you can do is to make sure that the speed , timmings and voltage is the same as what you have and you will have a good chance that it will.
If you put lower speed ram in with what you have then all the ram will run at the same lower speed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145325

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145334

You can also get higher speed ram and it will run at the same speed as what you now have , this one is 1.5v and the other two are 1.65v so it will depend on what your current ram voltage is.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233327

psyduck89

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
i see... thanks for the information..
btw.. u saying that i need to make sure the timmings and voltage is same as the current 1 without tune it? or after market tuning?
And, what is the worst case for ram not compatible issue?
Pc cant boot? or will frequent crash?

When you purchase ram you have the rated timmings and speed of the ram and this is refered to as the stock settings of the ram and from there you can overclock those settings. When you purchase another set of ram to go with what you already have you want to match the stock settings and then when you install them they weill go to what the other ram is set at , so if you overclocked your current ram then the new ram will also be overclocked.
Worst case would be the Pc not booting and for the most part you would get error messages stating that the ram you installed is not copatiblee and will not work or a BSOD.

Jay-Z

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
I have a V6GT, and just pulled the heatsink off. I don't recommend this though. Low profile RAM should fit. Also, the higher RAM speed may not offer much of a performance benefit unless you are doing some intense video editing.

You have said that you are wanting to add more ram to your computer and you didn't say why you are doing that, could you give the reason for adding more ram.

psyduck89

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010

recently i found my firefox and g.chrome used up alot of ram.. (ram usage 75%)
i feel like its time to upgrade more ram..
to make sure my 2000mhz ram not be wasted..
i must buy another 2000mhz+/- ram...

psyduck89

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010

erm..nop.. i mean i am going to put this new ram together with the existing ram.. (mix together)
the only issue i worry is compatible problem coz the ram official page din stat that this ram is workable with my MB..
i am quite new to g.skill ram and i found that each ram from g.skill are support different chipset MB.

does g.skill ram compatible with any chipset mb like corsair ram does?