Need advice with EVGA GeForce GTX46 and my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisianthus

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Hi everyone! Im here to seek some advice and some tips about a video card im looking to buy for my computer.
I'll start off by adding some info on comp just in case it has some relativity to this.
Purchase date: Sometime this week.
Gaming: APB Reloaded
Current GPU and PSU: intel HD graphics family 1.6GB, 400W PSU
Other comp info: i7 processor 4-core, 8GB Ram
The motherboard is an ASUS P8H67-M PRO. Link to details of it here.
Prefer amazon
Overclocking: Yes
Crossfire: YES
Monitor resolution: 1920x1080
Has to be able to run my game at max settings with at least 60FPS.

Considering getting this: EVGA GeForce GTX460

The game I am currently playing runs at 25-30FPS on the LOWEST Settings. Their recommended system requirements are:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz or equivalent
Memory: 4GB RAM
Video: NVidia GeForce 8800 GTX 512MB or equivalent

Other players recommend this:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz or equivalent
Memory: 4GB RAM or more
Video: Two strong video cards (Nvidia 200 series or higher)

From that I can tell that both my ram and processor are easily more than the recommended system requirement but what im not sure is if the video card is whats lacking or if it is something else. I then began researching and found a EVGA GeForce GTX460 on amazon that is right on my budget! So I am planning on getting that a single one for now and getting a second one later on when I have the money for it and crossfiring them.

Summary:
Can my motherboard run a EVGA GeForce GTX460 alone? What about 2? The minimum for that card is 450W. Would getting more be better? What if I get 2, would I need to double the PSU or is a 450W enough for two? Since the card I want isn't ATI and my computer only supports ATI's CrossFireX would I need to get an ATI card? Would the EVGA GeForce GTX460 be enough to run that game at max settings with at least a 60FPS?

Thank you!

Solution
Looking at the minimum specs I doubt a single 460 could max it out at 1080p and maintain 60 FPS, but I can't say for sure I never played it. Looks kind of cool though and FTP I might have to check it out when I get home this evening. You could go with crossfire 6850s for about the same price as 460s, or get a single 6950 and have the option to crossfire later.
And 450 is not enough for 2 of either card, get 650 or above for a dual card setup, and don't get the cheap 650w psu off ebay, it's really a 300w psu.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Looking at the minimum specs I doubt a single 460 could max it out at 1080p and maintain 60 FPS, but I can't say for sure I never played it. Looks kind of cool though and FTP I might have to check it out when I get home this evening. You could go with crossfire 6850s for about the same price as 460s, or get a single 6950 and have the option to crossfire later.
And 450 is not enough for 2 of either card, get 650 or above for a dual card setup, and don't get the cheap 650w psu off ebay, it's really a 300w psu.

Solution

Lisianthus

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
I am going to go for crossfire 6850s. Would this PSU be enough for my computer?
http://www.corsair.com/power-supplies/non-modular-psus/gaming-series-1/gs700w.html
That PSU is in the list of certified PSU for the card.

Mine currently has a Delta Model: GPS-400BB A, REV that runs at 400w. I checked the voltage and stuff and theyre both the same, Corsair is a bit longer but would still fit in my tower, Height and width are they same for both.
The only thing thats bothering me is the connectors...is it enough to run everything on my comp and 2 6850s?

Status
Not open for further replies.