Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Safe CPU temp?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 15, 2011 5:49:25 PM


Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHz



Alright so I just built my first gaming rig and I finally got it fully functional a few days ago. I wanted to try out a game really quickly so I downloaded Minecraft. I monitored my temps just to make sure everything was going well. I saw that Minecraft got my CPU up to a max of 67C. I was worried that it was not normal so I closed out. While browsing the average temperature is about 36-40C. I plan on playing games much more resource intensive. Games like Serious Sam BFE, Skyrim, and BF3. I am using the stock fan and I am not overclocking. Is this normal?

More about : safe cpu temp

a c 146 à CPUs
December 15, 2011 5:55:39 PM

orangeluva56 said:
Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHz



Alright so I just built my first gaming rig and I finally got it fully functional a few days ago. I wanted to try out a game really quickly so I downloaded Minecraft. I monitored my temps just to make sure everything was going well. I saw that Minecraft got my CPU up to a max of 67C. I was worried that it was not normal so I closed out. While browsing the average temperature is about 36-40C. I plan on playing games much more resource intensive. Games like Serious Sam BFE, Skyrim, and BF3. I am using the stock fan and I am not overclocking. Is this normal?


That's starting to get high. Are you sure the fan/heatsink is seated right and what fan/heatsink are you using stock or aftermarket?
Score
0
December 15, 2011 5:59:36 PM

I am using the stock fan and heatsink. This is kind of embarrassing but when I installed the fan I accidentally installed it upside down. I didn't think it mattered but now that I think of it that may be the problem. Does the seating of the fan matter?
Score
0
Related resources
a c 146 à CPUs
December 15, 2011 6:05:34 PM

What do you mean? Did you remove the fan from the heatsink?
Score
0
December 15, 2011 6:10:50 PM

rds1220 said:
What do you mean? Did you remove the fan from the heatsink?


Sorry, I accidently said fan only when I meant to say the fan/heatsink. When I installed the fan/heatsink instead of putting it right side up I installed it the other way.



Score
0
a c 146 à CPUs
December 15, 2011 6:19:35 PM

orangeluva56 said:
Sorry, I accidently said fan only when I meant to say the fan/heatsink. When I installed the fan/heatsink instead of putting it right side up I installed it the other way.


Ok...so is it fixed? Look at the directions that came with your motherboard it will tell you the right way to install the CPU and fan\heatsink. When you push the heatsink pins you want to make sure they are all the way through.
Score
0
December 15, 2011 6:33:06 PM

rds1220 said:
Ok...so is it fixed? Look at the directions that came with your motherboard it will tell you the right way to install the CPU and fan\heatsink. When you push the heatsink pins you want to make sure they are all the way through.


I have already installed the stock heatsink and fan. I am on my new machine now. When you asked if the CPU fan/heatsink were seated correctly I said that when I laid the fan/heatsink down onto the motherboard upside down. Upside down as in when you are looking down at the motherboard the Intel logo on the top of the fan is upside down. The fan and the heatsink are in place.
Score
0
a c 146 à CPUs
December 15, 2011 6:42:05 PM

Do you have a camera and can you take a picture and post it. I'm not getting what your saying.
Score
0
December 15, 2011 7:49:07 PM

Here is a pic:

Make any suggestions. As you can see, the Intel logo is upside down. In the manual it had the logo right side up.
Score
0
December 15, 2011 9:15:42 PM

Alright, I think I was just being paranoid. I just played BF3 on High settings. The CPU didn't get above 70C. Even though that isn't the greatest temp I think I can manage. I will also try and clean up that mess of cables.
Score
0
a c 146 à CPUs
December 15, 2011 9:44:08 PM

Yes it is kind of "upside down" but I don't think that would cause overheating. It looks there is a cable and fan wiring in front of the fan, you should move that out of the way its blocking the fan/heatsink airflow. That could be causing your problem. Move all the junk out of the way and see if that does anything. If that doesn't work than I would still make sure the heatsink is fully seated.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2011 11:40:17 AM

from putting the HSF on 'upside down' (rotated 180*), taking it off, and then re-installing it is where you got messed up. In the transition you brobably have thick/thin spots in the paste now, when ti is supposed to be a nice thin layer all across.
It is probably fine, but I would consider getting some thermal paste, taking the heatsink off, cleaning all the old paste off, and throwing on some new stuff. The stock heatsink is fine so long as your are running stock speeds, but get an aftermarket one if you plan to OC later.
Score
0
February 12, 2012 9:36:22 AM

looking at your picture, it dosent matter if the fan is upside down ie as in the logo you mention - but it does matter which way round you fit it, and you look to have it the wrong way round ie the power cable going from the outside of the fan body across the plastic conduit to the motor is visible in your pic. that side should face the heat sink.

your fan isnt drawing in air to blow it on heatsink, its blowing it away from HS.

dangle a bit of light fluff or tissue to check your direction of blow as it is now.

Never ask you girlfreind to do this - you'll get a slap.

bang tidy
Score
0
a c 185 à CPUs
February 12, 2012 9:57:47 AM

Flip that power supply over
Score
0
!