Will the asrock x79 extreme4-m work with a 3770k processor?

Hi There,

I am a bit of a noob ( A real noob :-) ) and this will be my first build and I have just bought the i7-3770k processor and I was give the asrock x79 extreme4-m board as a gift and after checking the asrock site under cpu support list I do not see the 3770k listed :-(

So am I correct in saying that the board won't work with the 3770k?

Thanks for your input guys

BR
Jack
9 answers Last reply
More about will asrock extreme4 work 3770k processor
  1. The 3770K is socket 1155. the X79 is socket 2011, so no it won't work.
  2. Thanks for your quick response geekapproved! So it's either a new mobo or a new processor right?

If processor am I right in saying either the 3930k or the 3820k will work?

If a new board then any of the z77 boards will work? For example the asrock Z77 Extreme4-M board will do?

Again thanks a lot for your input geekapproved!!
  3. Yes.

Personally I'd get a Z77 (recommend Asrock) and sell the X79.
  4. Thanks guys!! I have just put the board up for sale!!! If not the ASRock x77 Extreme4m what do you think of the Asus P8Z77-V Premium ?? Any good??
  5. Seriously? That Asus board is waaay expensive. It has wifi, thunderbolt and a built in ssd, you can't compare it with a $140 Asrock.
  6. Good point!! It is a little pricey!!

But to be honest money isn't really a factor!
  7. You should have mentioned that in your first post, I would have told you to return/sell the 3770K and get a 3930K.

However you never mentioned what your plan to use the pc for, so really can't suggest one over the other.
  8. Yeah you are right I should of mentioned it!

I am a bit of noob at this so bare with me!!

I now have the Asus mobo in my possession as well as the Asrock x79 board... So I could get the 3930k for the Asrock but I am a bit concerned of it's size and it's features for the 3930k :-)

But then again it will do me just fine if I overclock the 3770k with the asus board but then from what I read if you overclock then you need to have watercooling??

I don't know whether that is a new topic I need to create??

And an update on my system: I am currently purchasing two 120 corsair force 3 ssd drives and I think I will raid them what do you think?? Not much performance gain I've heard?? That might also be another topic I need to create?? As I said I am new at this :-))
  9. You won't need watercooling for a decent overclock. I recommend a coolermaster hyper 212.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

Can't help you with the other questions cause I've never raided ssd's.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards ASrock Processors Product