Hello, I have a problem repairing my aunt's old PC.
When turning it on, there is no POST signal and the screen is black. The fans are spinning but the motherboard LED is turned off. Without RAM inserted there is no beep sound, but without graphics card it starts beeping (long beep repeated constantly).
I did a little check up and I know for sure that:
- graphics card is OK - works just fine in the other PC
- it's not the PSU fault - I plugged in a working one and the problem still occurs
- RAM is OK - works fine in the other PC
- HDD is OK - works fine in the other PC
Tha leaves only the motherboard and the CPU.
The question is: could it be a problem with the motherboard? or could it possibly be the cpu's fault?
If it comes to specs I only know the motherboard model - Gigabyte GA-K8NF9 Ultra (socket 939),
the CPU is an AMD sempron but I don't know the exact model.
If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I tried those configurations:
- RAM and graphics card inserted - no beeps
- no RAM , graphics card inserted - no beeps
- RAM inserted, no graphics card - long beep repeated constantly every few seconds
- no RAM, no graphics card - long beep repeated constantly every few seconds
shouldn't there be some beeps when RAM is not inserted?