Pink Dots of Death? Need Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipinhot2

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
So i Bought an MSI GTX 560TI Hawk just over a month ago, Played through Crysis 2, Dirt 2, Metro 2033, Farcry 2 and not a single problems, Performs great.

Then steam had there sale on Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Since i started playing that game about 3 days back, Every 20 Minutes or So Only when in game, a Pink Dot about the size of a 5 cent piece (Aussie Coin) Shows for like 0.2 Of a second at a random point on the screen.

Is it the screen crapping out?
OR is this classed as an artifact from the GPU?

My Screen Is an Acer X243H.

Turn FRAPs video capture on and throw in on mediafire or some site like that so we can check it out.

Seems like something you'd see if the OC was beyond the capability of the card.

Have you tried under-clocking down to reference spec? Does it still do that when you do?

pipinhot2

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Uhh:S Ok so i had a go at fraps i got a pink dot about 8 minutes in. Went through the 12GB of fraps movies and the spot didnt show at any point.

Plus i dont like using fraps because of it making exceedingly large files. And i need that space as a transfer bridge.

@Ubercake
Being overclocked beyond the cards liking sounds like a reasonable answer. if it does continue is it worthy of RMA?

I haven't swapped the cable yet as i thought i had a spare one just laying round. And uhh well i dont.

Stupid Pink Dots -.-

So we have ruled out the screen of problems?
And the graphics card shouldn't be the problem?

pipinhot2

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Ok i have done some long research....The pink dots are a common occurrence, it seems the latest series of AMD (6000) and Nvidia (500) cards get these pink dots but not all. Being described as marbles, coins, or the size of a paintball. Only in certain games.

You would think a game like Crysis or metro 2033 would provoke these sought of problems but these dots don't show up, so i have come to a conclusion that there is a problem with the optimization in Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Apparently they do not do any harm to the card. Its just the card doesn't know what to do at that point in time so it displays a pink dot.

I have read people have RMA'd their card after noticing these dots, received the same or a different card, and the dots still occur.

So should i slide back the settings a bit?
Would this be your conclusion?

I hope this helps others.

Status
Not open for further replies.