Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Problems installing Zalman CPU cooler

Last response: in Components
December 15, 2011 10:36:09 PM

Hello,

I am trying to mount a Zalman CNPS9500A cooler onto my core i7 cpu which is installed on an ASRock Extreme7 Gen 3 1155 motherboard. I have the CS58 adapter, which came with the cooler, but the bracket that secures the cooler to the adapter does not install properly. The length of the bracket is curved. To install this I would have to put undue force on the cpu, possibly damaging it. Is the bracket supposed to be curved or is this a defective piece?

Flipping the bracket so that the curve arcs over the the cpu does not work either. The bolts supplied are not long enough to thread through the adapter, not to mention that this method of install is contrary to how the instructions read.

I am baffled. Please help.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2011 3:25:47 AM

curved like this? http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/6352/kjlerkr2.jpg

"Flipping the bracket so that the curve arcs over the the cpu does not work either. The bolts supplied are not long enough to thread through the adapter"

"not to mention that this method of install is contrary to how the instructions read."

Are you sure you are doing that right?
Score
December 16, 2011 4:28:28 AM

Yes' that's what I mean when I say curved. I'm using the intel retention bracket, though, not the AMD clip.

In order to bolt both sides down and successfully secure my heatsink to my CPU I must first bolt down one side and then bend the other to the adapter to bolt that side down. But this doesn't feel right. I feel like its applying to much pressure to the cpu; I feel like the heatsink is crushing it. I am wondering if this amount of force is normal and required.

Here is one side bolted down...

meanwhile this is what the other side looks like...

This is my first build. I'm going solo on most of it. I just want to make sure I don't harm the CPU. Zalman's has been less than helpful.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2011 11:22:15 AM

Ok I understand now.

Your pictures dont work but:

I would say its pretty normal for it to be tight (since theres no clip to lock unlock it)

Also make sure you try to get both sides equaly as tight
December 16, 2011 4:24:20 PM

Best answer selected by Zombegon.
Score
!