Done a lot of research for a new build, I could use some input!

XFiraga001

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Building a new computer and It's my first time so I could really use some input from the community.

Expected Use: Moderate gaming, Starcraft2, Diablo2, some shooters, some HD movies and I'll be getting use out of the blueray player.

Budget: $900-$1000

Monitor: 1980x1200 AOC Widescreen 22in (Single DVI input)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout
PSU: SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
M/B: ASRock 890GX PRO3 AM3+
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 970 3.5GHz
RAM: Kingston 4(2x2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
GPU: HIS IceQ X Turbo H685QNT1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB
HHD: Seagate 1TB 6gb/s 7200rpm
Disk: Asus Blueray R DVD RW combo

This comes out to about $900 priced on newegg.com

I've got a kb, mouse, and speakers to reuse, but those will be replaced as soon as my wallet recovers :sweat:

Experience Level: This is my first time picking out pieces and ive been doing crazy amounts of research in the last months. I helped a friend put his rig together but I'm not too worried about that part.

Does anyone have a similar set up? Are the pieces good together. I'm saving up for it so I'll be buying in about a month. Looks like bulldozer is coming out in a few days so ill take a look at the new quad core, but most likely ill just take the discount on my current build.

Thanks in advance!

ThruSeer

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Maybe this sounds crazy, because I am a noob similar to yourself as described, but why would you go w/ an AMD CPU instead of an Intel Sandy Bridge i5-2500k? It seems like a no brainer to me that you should go w/ i5 considering prices and performance. It is true that I have not explored or researched AMD CPU's, but to me it seemed granted that anybody would choose Intel over AMD.

Cool though that you are able to explore the Bulldozer that is coming up. Cool that it is in only a few days, I had imagined a couple months before they release that information.

The advantage of building with AMD is you get better performance dollar for dollar .

For the OP
you can change the Phenom to the 955. Same part , and one bios change will get you 965 [ or better] speed

Your motherboard may be AM3+ but for full compatibility use a board with a 970 or 990 series chipset

leolego

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
I would replace the memory with this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314
Don't build a new computer with 4gb of ram, 4gb is enough these days, but 8gb is even better, and will guarantee it will last longer and future proof it a little. Remember, GOOD ram will last a while.

Also, go with what outlander said, a 955 is basically the same, just needs to be overclocked a little. (Which isn't that hard by most people's standards.)

i5-2500k is yes, a great CPU, but that would be another $70.

XFiraga001

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Alright, so 8gbs of RAM and a decent brand so they last. I've got no problem springing for that since the difference today between 4gs of cheap ram and 8gs of brand name ram is about $30.

And ok, this thing about the chipset on the motherboard, I haven't been able to find that info anywhere for any board. Could someone post a motherboard with a 970 chipset and show me how to tell the difference? I was looking at the asus M4A88TD EVO USB3 before. I would like an onboard videocard since I wont be getting the GPU right away so please keep that in mind.

Lol yes i did mean Diablo 3, slip of the tounge.

And as far as AMD vs Intel Thruseer, I don't think you should assume that everyone should choose an Intel automatically. AMD's got a lot of good chips and price/performance wise they do a great job:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
ctrl+f the X4 970 and you'll see it has good performance for $50 less than similarly powered Intel chips. No doubt the new sandy bridge and fast i5's are great and you get what you pay for, but as far as I'm concerned, for a first time budget build AMD is the way to go.