Results of bad video card in computer

johnnyboy007

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Hello,can a bad video card (8400gs nvidia geforce)cause the computer to go to 4bit operation? unable to go to 32bit-should i be able to hear the fan on the video card.?thanks

You should be able to at least see the fan spin. A bad video card can cause any number of display issues.

Did you just start getting this problem? Did it correspond with adding the card to your system or have you had the card in there a while?

What are the rest of your system specs?

johnnyboy007

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

hi,this is my wife's computer and for a while now she has had problems, mostly display going from her normal 32bit operation to 4 bit which looked like "safe mode' unfortunately we finally had to go to recovery and not to restore-i have tried numerous times to download the driver for the NVIDIA GeFORCE 8400GS ,EVEN removing it and redownloading--prior while doing all of the above i would be able to get it to run on 32bit with the right pixels, but after a while it would revert back to 4bit operation--

this is a HP Pavilion media center m8277c desktop
Proc E6750
intel core 2duo
2048MG and 400GB hard drive
window vista

i did take the side panel off (also removed the video card after cleaning out the fan) it was pretty dusty to say the least.
ran hp diagnostic and pc doc --all referred to video card saying misconfiguration or not in system (something to that)

johnnyboy007

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

please see reply to ubercake, thanks

johnnyboy007

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

please see reply to ubercake,thanks

Seems like you're due for a video card replacement. Have her use on-board video until you get a new card.

You could go for a direct replacement (actually better than direct replacement because the card spec hasn't been tweaked by HP):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814139047&cm_re=8400gs-_-14-139-047-_-Product

Or depending on your case, the low-profile card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814139049&cm_re=8400gs-_-14-139-049-_-Product

The other option is you could drastically improve your situation by going from video over the old style PCI bus to that of the PCI-express bus. The 8400GS is plugged into the white PCI slot, correct (the only replacement cards I can find use standard PCI)?

johnnyboy007

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
HI, as i am not that computer savy--you say that this computer should have a PCI express slot (now PCI)--also is it ok or will it work ok should i replace the video card with one that says 64bit?(all says system 32) my wife doesn't do much while on the computer, although my grandson does when he comes here, that link had an awesome video card. also on my video card there are 2 wires (black and white pair) that goes to a very small plug (next to the larger white plug) and as i am looking at cards i don't see that plug --will a new card work without that plug that seems that wires are coming from the mother board..?? should i remove the card now as i look for a replacement , whether or not i get it locally or order one, will the monitor work as on-board video or is working that way now with the bad board? was planning to go to Best Buy tomorrow to pick up something compatible but will check out those links you gave..thanks