Sign in with
Your question

Underclocked Intel Core i7 740QM @931mhz

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 16, 2011 1:31:36 AM

Yes I'm new (as a user) here, I use these forums to fix most of my problems with this Lappy, but this time I really need some help on this.
inb4ucallmenew

Anyways,
So I've been getting this problem for quite a while now. I didn't realized it until I opened up CPU-Z, it showed that it was running at 931mhz only.
Before I go on, we're talking about a Sony VAIO F11, a Laptop.
I thought because Turbo Boost didn't recognized that the system's in need of more clock speed, so I put it through a Stress Test to see if that's the case. But unfortunately, the Stress Test didn't affect the CPU at all.

So I thought I could go through my BIOS to see if I could turn the Turbo Boost technology off. But, the BIOS had no Turbo Boost option in there for some reason that I'm not aware of.

Specs:
My motherboard is a Sony VPCF132FD
Intel Core i7 740QM (1.7ghz Stock/2.0ghz Turbo)
4gb Ram DDR3
NVIDIA 310M 512mb Vram

I guessed it's an overheating problem, but it's not, even if I turn off my laptop overnight, it will still stay at this clock speed, 931mhz.
I checked the Power Options to see if the minimum and maximum processor states for all my power plans and they were both at 100%.
I pretty much went through everything I know, so I guess someone here will eventually help me resolve this issue.
I did search Google for countless hours for a solution, but nothing.

Finally, if you do know of an answer to this issue, thank you very, very much!

Cheers!
-Sofian
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2011 2:56:17 AM

btw turbo on that is 2.93 GHz

Try prime95 also check your core temps with hwmonitor
m
l
December 16, 2011 2:48:59 PM

Quote:
btw turbo on that is 2.93 GHz

Try prime95 also check your core temps with hwmonitor

I Prime95'd overnight and I see no boosting at all.
My core temps hit 70-80 degrees centigrade when it's on the Torture Test (I know it's overheating here).
Well, luckily I still have my 1 year warranty, so I probably should return this laptop to get it fixed or get replaced by a new one.

Anyways, if anyone can find a solution before I return the laptop, let me know.
It could probably help others with the same problem and got their warranty expired.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2011 6:51:23 PM

Did TMonitor show different states of the cpu?
m
l
December 16, 2011 7:55:56 PM

Quote:
Did TMonitor show different states of the cpu?

I have my own program, and it works very well.
I told you already that it goes to 70-80 degrees on full-load
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2011 7:57:25 PM

Clearly you didint check it. Its not a temperature monitor.

"TMonitor is aimed to display the active clock of each individual core of Intel Core 2 and Core i3/i5/i7, as well as AMD K10 processors.
A very high refresh rate (20 times per second) allows to visualize the smallest clock variation in real time. TMonitor is able to detect mechanism such as Intel Turbo boost, and therefore allows to clearly visualize its effect as the processor is working."
m
l
December 17, 2011 5:45:30 PM

Quote:
Clearly you didint check it. Its not a temperature monitor.

"TMonitor is aimed to display the active clock of each individual core of Intel Core 2 and Core i3/i5/i7, as well as AMD K10 processors.
A very high refresh rate (20 times per second) allows to visualize the smallest clock variation in real time. TMonitor is able to detect mechanism such as Intel Turbo boost, and therefore allows to clearly visualize its effect as the processor is working."

All four cores are at 931mhz as I told you.
m
l
!