P&S digital cameras with mechanical zoom

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 1, 2005 11:29:43 AM

Hi,

Apart from the Leica Digilux2 (Panasonic DMC-LC1), are there any P&S
digital cameras that offer mechanical zoom control instead of the slow
(and annoying) electronic zoom control?

Thanks,

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 11:39:25 AM

Siddhartha Jain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Apart from the Leica Digilux2 (Panasonic DMC-LC1), are there any P&S
> digital cameras that offer mechanical zoom control instead of the
slow
> (and annoying) electronic zoom control?

Ok, found the Sony F828 but thats too bulky and the Leica (Panasonic)
is too expensive :(

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 12:35:58 PM

David J. Littleboy wrote:
> "Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Apart from the Leica Digilux2 (Panasonic DMC-LC1), are there any
P&S
> > digital cameras that offer mechanical zoom control instead of the
slow
> > (and annoying) electronic zoom control?
>
> The (Konica) Minolta 7x zoom cameras (A2, A200) have a mechanical
zoom ring.

Thanks. But again these are too big for my purpose. I need a camera
thats small, compact and yet offers good manual control (minimal
electronics) in terms of focussing and exposure control. Actually, a
film rangefinder seems to meet my needs much better except that they
don't seem to have any reasonably priced zoom lens (infact they don't
seem to have any zoom lens except the Leica 35-70mm). Let me know if
you have any ideas as to what might fit my requirement, film or
digital.

- Siddhartha
April 2, 2005 4:41:52 AM

"Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Apart from the Leica Digilux2 (Panasonic DMC-LC1), are there any P&S
> digital cameras that offer mechanical zoom control instead of the slow
> (and annoying) electronic zoom control?

The (Konica) Minolta 7x zoom cameras (A2, A200) have a mechanical zoom ring.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 5:03:07 AM

Justin Thyme wrote:
> "Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Apart from the Leica Digilux2 (Panasonic DMC-LC1), are there any
P&S
> > digital cameras that offer mechanical zoom control instead of the
slow
> > (and annoying) electronic zoom control?
> I know you said a P&S rather than an SLR, but the Pentax *istDS is
very
> small for an SLR - not a whole lot bigger than the Pana digi's. The
new
> Canon 350D is pretty small too.

:)  Again, another dSLR, no matter how small, is an expensive option.

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 12:13:41 PM

!