Getting a new processor

Mellyz90

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
As of now I have a intel duo 1.8 ghz CPU which is really sucky ><. Any who I was planning on getting a i5 2500k or a i72600k, I was wondering which one i should get. Is the hyper threading on the i7 really worth it? I mostly play games, such as wow, hon, sc2, bf3, etc.. Also I was wondering what motherboard should I get for either one, and what heat sink to get because I want to over clock which ever one I get...4.5-5 ghz at the most

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Get the i5 2500K. Its best for gaming. Hyperthreading is not worth it for most normal tasks.

As far as motherboards go, it depends on how much you want to spend and how many PCI-e slots you need, how large your case is etc.

for gaming, core i5 2500k is better. not a lot of games take advantage of hyperthreading. if the game is not coded properly, it might even result in performance degradation with hyperthreading on.
get a z68 motherboard with cfx/sli support in dual x8 (at least) mode. a lot of brands are pushing pcie 3 capability but that won't work unless you replace your i5 with an ivb cpu - keep that in mind. if you want to oc, make sure your motherboard (and psu) can sustain it - look up it's review.
for decent oc, a coolermaster hyper 212+ or evo will work. make sure your case can fit it.