CHIPSET UPDATE: UNINSTALLED USB DRIVERS

AJSG59

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
I built a PC with an MSI-7549 Mobo (MSI 785GT-E63) that i use in my office (at work). i installed MSI LIVE UPDATE on it to scan and keep track of mobo specific updates. i recently updated my chipset. the update uninstalled my USB Drivers! So, my mouse or anything connected to the USB ports does not work. i googled the problem and found others who recently had the same problem. After reading some of the responses (one from TH i'm going to search for in a minute), i realized what was happening. My keyboard works because it isn't USB; so i found an old PS2 mouse which works fine.

I've searched Google for MSI USB Drivers; the MSI (Drivers) site refers me back to MSI LIVE UPDATE. i don't see, or can't find the USB Drivers within MSI LIVE UPDATE or on the original drivers installation DVD (for the mobo). One of the responses suggested flashing the BIOS, saying that worked for them. i did that; it did not work for me. i need to reinstall the USB Drivers for this mobo and just can't find or am not sure (exactly) what i'm looking for. This Shouldn't be that hard! So please... someone... i need links or direction that can help me. Thanks.

Solution

The Motherboard manufacturer is MSI...

Windows XP should have native USB 2.0 controller drivers for most motherboard chipsets but there are still a few outliers, specifically add-in chips. You should install whatever is on your motherboard manufacturer's website

AJSG59

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
(As i said) My mobo's manufacturer's site directs me to MSI LIVE UPDATE... which is what i have installed. i do not see any direct links to USB Drivers in that program, and the MSI Drivers folder in program files has .cab and other files i have No Idea how to install - or even if i'd be installing the right thing! However, i did not think about WXP drivers; perhaps i could find the USB drivers in the Windows/Drivers folder somewhere?

It's an AMD motherboard, install the chipset drivers from AMD's website. If there's an add-in USB controller you can install the drivers from their website or distributor.

AJSG59

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
It's an MSI motherboard with an AMD processor: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/785GT-E63.html
Because MSI LIVE UPDATE updated the chipset on the MSI mobo, i no longer have USB Controller drivers; this has never happened to me before. i've Never had to reinstall USB Controller Drivers and have no idea where to find them on the PC. The chipset is part of the MSI mobo... i don't NEED chipset drivers - that's what caused the problem in the 1st place! Isn't the USB Controller PART of the MSI MOBO??? i don't see what the AMD Processor has to do with this... or that i would find drivers for my mobo on the AMD site... i checked Microsoft (Windows XP) for drivers, but didn't find what i was looking for.

The Motherboard manufacturer is MSI but the specifications and two most important chips -- the Northbridge and Southbridge -- are sourced from AMD. Thus, all AMD socket motherboards, regardless of whom the manufacturer is, use the same chipset drivers. The motherboard manufacturer may elect to integrate additional peripherals to the chipset via the generic PCIe lanes made available from the southbridge (the northbridge PCIe lanes are typically reserved for PCIe sockets and graphics cards). For example, the Intel 6 series motherboards do not have native USB 3.0 so manufacturers had to use additional add-in chips from ASMedia and NEC to provide support until it was included natively with the Intel 7 series chipsets.

Your motherboard has an AMD 785G platform (northbridge, IGP, Audio, firmware and socket) with an AMD SB710 southbridge. That southbridge has 12 USB 2.0 ports on it so all that's needed to run them is the appropriate AMD driver suite.

You can get the chipset and RAID drivers for Windows XP here

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/raid_windows.aspx#4

Solution

AJSG59

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
Thanks for breaking that down for me pinhedd. i never DID understand the Northbridge & Southbridge part of that mobo. And the RAID drivers are Not installed because i don't understand what they are for... nor did they install from the mobo DVD or MSI LIVE UPDATE. i Do remember seeing SB710 Southbridge in the mobo book somewhere; they just didn't allude to it being AMD. So, i need the AMD driver suite!? Perhaps that's why MSI's Live Update knocked the drivers out in the first place! Maybe i need to uninstall MSI LIVE UPDATE? Something inadvertant happens everytime it does an update! Thanks for the link. i'll try it when i get to the office Sunday afternoon (unless i go sooner - i work from home most of the time). i'll let you know what happened. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

AJSG59

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
Thanks for the path knightdog56... that's the chipset driver, right? the one you listed is newer; the updated one is 8.8xx.x.x (don't remember the last #s, but i remember the 8.8). i need USB Controller drivers though... unless the 8.9 driver corrects the issue.

Glad to help. Historically the North Bridge has been responsible for controlling high-speed IO, namely the memory controller, PCIe/AGP controllers, and an IGP if present. The Southbridge is responsible for less complicated but more plentiful IO such as USB, RS232 (serial), FDD, PATA/IDE, SATA, SAS (on server and workstation motherboards only), Ethernet, PCI, PCIe (not as many lanes as the northbridge, often used for arbitrary add-in chips like audio and ethernet), ISA, SMBus, Firmware EEPROM, platform management, etc... The southbridge has a lot more devices attached to it than the north bridge, but they're individually slower and less complex.

Intel moved the Northbridge completely onto the CPU with the introduction of the 1.5 Generation Nehalem processors (Core 800 series and below, Core 900 still had a northbridge for PCIe lanes). Now they just have an off-chip Southbridge which is more formally called the PCH or Platform Controller Hub.

AMD moved their memory controller onto the CPU but still uses a Northbridge for PCIe and IGP purposes.

EDIT: The reason that you don't need the RAID drivers right away is because Microsoft already includes compatible ones with Windows. Without the RAID drivers you wouldn't be able to install Windows on a RAID volume without first providing the drivers at install time. Providing drivers at install time is annoying, so they try to include as many storage drivers as possible. These tend to get dated over time and it is advisable to install the newest ones as they become available.

AJSG59

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
WOW! You are Seriously a plethora of Knowledge! i've always used & liked Intel PCs (my Dell laptops have Intel processors), but always rebuilt/built AMDs. i don't have all of that knowledge about any of them; i've only built 3 in my lifetime; rebuilt 1. i built My Asus (home PC) with the help of people like you in Tom's Forum. i'm going to re-read your info above because it summarize everything for me. My next build will be an Intel board/processor. i purchase pieces as finances allow. Thanks again for all of the info; i'll be sure to let you know what i found.

AJSG59

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010

Pinhedd, THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!! i selected your answer as the best because it worked the FIRST TIME!!! Ooooh, what JOY to see that red light return to my usb mouse! All of my gadgets began to fire up (Dell Axim, laser printer, external hdd, scanner...) and the sounds were Wonderful! i installed the AMD Chipset drivers which INCLUDED the USB Filter Drivers and other things. My chipset & drivers are updated, and AMD installed an updated version of MSI Live Update! i won't use it to download anything, only to scan to see what i need. i'm going to get my updates from the AMD site :). i didn't realize that MSI/AMD/ATI were so intertwined! i'm a graphic artist who likes to build PCs. it's the best way to get what i want. i'm also a PC tech, but i will Never have all of the knowledge you have, and i thank you again for sharing it with me! i just luv Tom's Hardware Forum! i'm going to seek you when i need answers. Thanks soooo much!

TRENDING THREADS