Sparkle-Good power supply?

cellbiogeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I wanted to get an Enermax PS but the place in town sells Sparkle only. Are Sparkle power supplies decent or is it worthwhile to order an enermax online.
Also, does anyone know if there is a huge cooling difference between having 2 60mm fans or 1 80mm fan at the back of the case (my stupid case only has srew holes for 2 60mm fans). Thanks for any help:)

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i've heard that Enermax power supplies are the best, but I have also heard that Sparkles are good. I have yet to see a good comparison though. I don't think there is a big real-world difference. Either one should be fine. I've heard that Deer makes sub-par power supplies, so I would steer away from them. This palce sells Enermax power supplies fairly cheaply: <A HREF="http://www.crazypc.com" target="_new">http://www.crazypc.com</A>.

As for your fan question... Check out the CFM rating of the 2x60mm vs. 1x80mm. That's the important factor. I think the 2x60mm fans would be fine.

G

Damn! Thought I had bookmarked a good article on power supplies, but I can't find it. Many of these "major brand" power supplies are made by only a few companies and OEMed to other places who put their names on them.

AMD's list of approved power supplies contains serveral Sparkles. If you look at the list you'll see some of the various companies even use the same part numbers for their products (I don't really know if the part/model number is significant). One of my cases has a Fortron Source PS which, when I checked their respective web sites, is the exact same as someone elses (I think it was Enermax).

Mike

G

I just replaced my Top 300W power supply with an Enermax 400 W dual fan from crazypc.

The Enermax is really quiet and runs pretty cool (maybe because with 2 processors I'm not as near to it's limit as with the 300W), but I was a little disappointed that its dual fans (and they are both running) push FAR less air out of the case than my previous power supply. As a result, my case runs hotter than before by about 2ºC after a few hours of running (this is with one in fan and one additional out fan).

G

SPI used to O.K. Now, it got some good components out,and is becoming standard. SPI and Fortron are same OEM Company,in case you didn't know that!

Enermax is new guys in town,and has 2 fans internally. It's good ,but the price is high.

You can get good deal from: www.hansansystems.com. They are TOP- Enermax Parterner. Their company is close location to Enermax HQ. If you buy with Hansan Cases, usually get save a lot of money , because they tend to not marking up a lot of Power supplies anyway.

As far as 2 x 60 mm, I prefer 80mm, or bigger,but, is allright.
Bigger fans tend to be more lousier than smaller fans anyway.

Good luck!

G

Aren't you the guy who's been spamming the forum (and others), and isn't that your web site you're pushing...although you don't make that clear at all?

Mike

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mikem on 12/19/00 03:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>