• Connectivity
  • Wireless
  • Routers
  • Internet
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 7, 2011 1:45:01 PM

Hey everyone!

I am using this product http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item... for picking up my landlord's wireless signal (part of the monthly rent).

My computer is in a sensitive spot for detecting the signal, so when the landlord moves the router, even just a bit by mistake, it takes me hours of playing with the antennas to get the correct spot for proper internet again. I am tired of doing this every time they move it and they do not seem to understand, therefore I can not do anything with the router at all, right now I am playing with the antennas...it does not help that the product I purchased is completely *** and is not as great as it sounds, but because of money spent I have to deal with it.

The Windows wireless status icon does not help at all! I could be connected to the route at full strength and not have any internet at all.

I am looking for a program that will show me where my antennas will receive internet, this will help me greatly whenever they move the router and reduce my hours of searching for that right spot.

More about : program wireless signal strength

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 7, 2011 3:36:36 PM

You might try Network Stumbler -- free from sites like FileHippo, CNET, MajorGeeks

If landlord will let you I suggest you try some of the following:

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel that is 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
m
l
February 7, 2011 4:08:32 PM

that program does not work, it says can not access
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 7, 2011 4:12:16 PM

Look for something similar -- NetStumbler is getting very old and doesn't work with some wireless chipsets.
m
l
February 7, 2011 6:03:46 PM

I do not know any programs that is why im posting here.
m
l
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 7, 2011 9:11:24 PM

Try one of the shareware/freeware sites -- FileHippo, CNET, MajorGeeks.
m
l
!