Status
Not open for further replies.

dunkelsniger

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Hello,
The wife´s old gateway is dying. The PSU starts when i turn it on, but the lights does not come on, it doesn't beep or post. The fans and everything is going on full speed for about a minute or two then it powers off. It does not respond to the power button once its turned on. First i thought it was the PSU but im thinking the motherboard died on me? It is a gateway GM5416E.

So no LED or beeps turns on.
No post.
No sounds from HD.
Fans spinning on full power for a few minutes then system shuts down.

Solution
Thats not your PSU. Slim chance it is.
A new cmos battery wouldent help either. Your computer will boot with a dead battery. Just wont retain bios settings, that you change.

Id lean on the motherboard died. Since it doesnt POST. Then the PSU still powers whatever is not connected to the motherboard.

Id try detaching the connector from PSU to motherboard. Then putting it back in. Then examine the wire, for any damage. Then try it out.

Then for the sake of trying. Id disconnect everything from the motherboard. Except the cpu and psu. Then see if it posts or beeps at you.

If still nothing. Then if you wanna fully rule out the PSU.
Goto a local computer store. Buy one. Then try it out. If it works, great. If not, then return it, for...

dunkelsniger

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011

Same result, no posting, fans spins at full power. Still no LEDS on in the chassis, but a LED is on at the motherboard.

keha12

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
Thats not your PSU. Slim chance it is.
A new cmos battery wouldent help either. Your computer will boot with a dead battery. Just wont retain bios settings, that you change.

Id lean on the motherboard died. Since it doesnt POST. Then the PSU still powers whatever is not connected to the motherboard.

Id try detaching the connector from PSU to motherboard. Then putting it back in. Then examine the wire, for any damage. Then try it out.

Then for the sake of trying. Id disconnect everything from the motherboard. Except the cpu and psu. Then see if it posts or beeps at you.

If still nothing. Then if you wanna fully rule out the PSU.
Goto a local computer store. Buy one. Then try it out. If it works, great. If not, then return it, for refund.(make sure you verify return policy of store, first)

Then its definitely the motherboard.(i feel its the motherboard definitely. But better safe than sorry. Far as DYI repair with no tools)

Then you are probably better off. Building a new one. Since you said old gateway. I assume this case is a propriety design.
Then I assume since you said "old" that only thing you'll be able to gut. Is the harddrive and optical drives.

Then you can turn this into a project for yourself :]
Build yourself a new computer. Give the wifey your old one. Or better yet. Upgrade yours. Get the wife a new case. Put old parts in it. So she feels special :]
Then new parts in your old case.

Or just waste money on junk, to make the wife happy. Your choice :]

Solution

dunkelsniger

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011

Ill try what you said and see if i can isolate it to the mobo alone. Im pretty sure it is the culprit.
I am thinking of getting this upgrade kit for her
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1733953&CatId=332

Her old system was an intel core 2 duo at 1.86ghz and 4 gigs of ram.

Im thinking the triple core, 8 gigs of ram, SSD and a fresh windows 7 install ( and maybe luck unlocking the 4th core ) should make her happy.

Id rather build her a new pc then replacing and old motherboard, its about the same work, but building new is always more fun.

dunkelsniger

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011

I´d love to do that, unfortunaly we are not growing money in the backyard.

Status
Not open for further replies.