Tv tuner card with satellite tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

adaman2576

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
hey all,
I am going to be moving soon and my new house will not have an option for cable. My only option for tv/internet is a satellite provider. I have a htpc that uses a few tuner cards for basic cable right now through WMC. I have never dealt with satellite before... Is there a basic signal that these tuner cards would recieve like they do through cable? Or is it all encrypted and decoded by the settop box?
thanks in advance,
Adaman

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I would assume that you would be running the cable out of the box via coax into the tuner card in your HTPC, right? That would give you access to the channels, not matter if they were encrypted or not...they have to be decrypted so your TV can display them.

Shouldn't that work?

adaman2576

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009

Yes but then wouldn't i need the box to change channels and my tuner card would just turn into a capture card?

awolfe63

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
There are no native satellite tuners for PCs right now. At one point, DirectTV boxes had serial ports and some PC software could use that to change the channel. No HD recording that way though.

Best bet is to get a DVR from your satellite provider and live with it.

adaman2576

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009

I was afraid that this was the answer because I have multiple pc's with tuner cards and I don't want to rent a whole bunch of satellite boxes. damn

Status
Not open for further replies.