crackanak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
last night i was in a 25 man raid group when my fps droped down to 6, so i overclocked my gpu and that only seem to boost it up to 8-9 fps, then i changed the game setting down from ulitimate step by step to the lowest and tbh that dint do any good. what could of be causeing this and what can i do to stop it from going down that far

my mate said i need a more powerfull motherboard: whould this help

my comps spec:

2.33 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad 64 bit
Board: Acer WG43M
gpu: nivida gtx 460
psu: 750 watts
8gb ram

Your mate has no idea what he's talking about. A motherboard has nothing to do with the power of the computer or your fps.

It's all about cpu and gpu. For one you failed to mention the most important factors, what game your playing and what resolution your playing at.

MMO's require fast cpu's, your cpu is pretty slow and is probably holding back your gpu a bit too.

Your best bet would be to try to overclock your cpu to somewhere near the 3ghz range or upgrade the whole system. Or if your playing at a very low resolution, try a higher resolution, that would put more load on the gpu than cpu.

crackanak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
am playing world of warcraft atm, and my resolution is 1600 x 900 pixels that is max it would go.

i have been looking at getting the i7 2600k, but i have been informed that i may need to reinstall windows but this comp came with vista (home edition sp2) pre installed so was looking at getting windows 7 at end of the month then maybe cpu next month

but how would i overclock cpu plz

Why are you gaming at 1280x1024 if your monitors native resolution is 1600x900......????

At 1280x1024 your loading the cpu big time, and that's your problem. At 1600x900 your loading the gpu more and it should play smoother, not to mention look a lot better.

crackanak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
tbh i never thought of that, it always been the setting for it since ive installed the game 3-4 years ago, but ill give it a shot with changing it thankyou

crackanak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
seems to work a bit better but map screen, loadind screen dose not streach to fit screen it is box size

and just a quick question if i get ASUS 1155 P8Z68-V PRO motherboard how can i find out wot ram cards i need or dose it depend on the cpu, tryed seaching the net but it just brings up shops where to buy it from

You need to get ddr3 ram and you need to get a sandybridge cpu, i suggest the i5-2500k!

keha12

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
Lol. This dude is playing wow. My crap laptop runs that flawlessly.

"You need a i5-2500k!" No you dont...

Then yeah, other guy is right. Your friend who suggested the motherboard, does not know what he's talking about.

Then overclock your GPU all you want. The gain you saw, is what it ends up 9 out of 10 times. Only CPU overclocks matter for use, minus benchmarking results.

Now what you didnt state. Was did this just start happening? Or has it always been that way?
Alot more factors come into play. Like where your live and where this WOW server is located. If you live in australia, then thats why.

Could also be some add-on you installed for WOW.

Could also be some feature, you turned on that wasnt on before. Maybe nvidia side AA set to max?

I think your rig, is more than sufficient to play WOW.
But in raids. Particle effects can drop you. Lower the extra candy, in raids.
Then if your using AA. turn it off and put the resolution higher.

Or if you wanna rule it out. Then disable all addons. Then run the game on the lowest possible settings on everything. Then join a raid. See if it drops to 1-8fps.

Also, if my memory serves me right. Next to your bags. Is a little connectivity bar. Mouse over that, then it should show your ping.
Far as ping you want anything under 100. ideally 5-50max, atleast for me. A ping around 300-600 for most games, will drop the FPS.

But anyway Starwars the old republic! thats what you should want to play :]

I suggested for him to get the 2500k.....