Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

My house burned down, have to rebuild 3k Gaming machine

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 15, 2011 3:17:33 PM

Hey guys!
Long story short, my house burned down and now the insurance company is giving me 3000$ (CAD) to rebuild my computer. I topped this limit and intend on paying the extra fees for the shipping and taxes on myself. So here is my build, I had to get every piece of it and extra accessories because I also lost all of them in the fire (from TV tuner to printer... etc)

Thing is, I'm not so great with these things, I have good knowledge but something probably slipped my mind and I'm pretty sure there are compatibility issues somewhere within my build...
Any of you experts can tell me if all of this can fit together? I did my best to understand and fit the socket types with the socket on the MOBO, etc...
Also, rate my build, give me suggestions on things to change or substitute for other things that could be better and cheaper, etc! Only thing I can't do is go over the money limit I have currently maxed out.

Thanks guys! Here's my build :

http://secure.newegg.ca/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?...

Rate, Comment, Criticize away!
September 15, 2011 3:25:36 PM

I know I've heard of this story before but I'm curious. Can't you get a brand new pc and buy a laptop?
m
0
l
September 15, 2011 3:26:15 PM

I don't understand your question...
m
0
l
September 15, 2011 3:30:50 PM

I meant to say that with the $3000 budget, aren't you allowed to buy a laptop and a computer. Are you restricted to just buying 1 computer?
m
0
l
September 15, 2011 3:33:43 PM

Oh. Well I already have a laptop that I had with me at the time when it burned down, so I'm putting all the money on the desktop, but yes, you could do that, it depends on your insurance policy, though.
m
0
l
September 15, 2011 3:38:09 PM

Oh, so that's why! The insurance company should just give you the 3k if it's possible. I hope someone can help you with your problem. ^__^ Hope you're doing well right now.
m
0
l
September 15, 2011 3:41:33 PM

Yeah my house is being rebuilt and they will soon give me the money to go and buy the computer because I need it for school as I study computer science and programming. ^_^ Just need good insight first so I don't make a bad mistake which could take some cash away from me or slow down the acquiring process ;) 

m
0
l
September 15, 2011 4:00:00 PM

Why two DVD burners? I'd get a single blu-ray burnber instead.
m
0
l
September 15, 2011 4:03:19 PM

For copy purposes... I do a lot of DVD to DVD copying
m
0
l
September 15, 2011 4:08:40 PM

I quasi wish I had your problem :p  Looks like a solid build. A little extreme but hey you spent nearly the entire 3000 so good job! I'd recommend a UPS (uninterrupted power supply) if you don't already have one. Something like http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1684... although they are evil on the shipping (usa version is free shipping and 20 bucks less!). Not sure if you want to skimp out on any of your other items though. You could go with a cheaper motherboard and ram and you'll only need a 750W power supply.

my $.02
m
0
l
September 15, 2011 4:14:39 PM

Well that's the only good motherboard I found that had enough PCI slots for everything I'm adding onto it! Remember that I have Dual video cards at x16 and a sound card and a TV Tuner on it :p  I'll check out what this UPS is, can you explain a little better how it would be best for my build??

Nice to know my first build is a solid one :) 
Thanks for the feedback!
m
0
l

Best solution

September 15, 2011 9:04:45 PM

Sebaslegrand said:
I also wanted to know what SSD is best... There's the one in the link in the main post, and this one that I am looking at, which one is best and why??

This one :
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

And this one :
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

The Crucial is the better buy.

Second, I would ditch the zalman heat sink, I have the beefier version (CNPS9900MAX) myself, and I am RMA'ing because it doesn't keep very cool when OC'ing past 1.33v at all. I would recommend the Noctua NH-D14 $99
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...
It's also very quiet. You wont regret the little extra $$ it costs, i promise.

Third, I would cut the HAF X and go for the HAF 932, it has all the feature you need and none you don't, its like $50 cheaper i believe.

Fourth, maybe I'm missing the obvious here, but don't you need a router? If you do, i recommend the Linksys E4200 myself.

EDIT: I would consider dropping the sound card. You have a crossfire setup and that sound card will dramatically impact airflow to your oxygen hungry cards. You have on-board HD Audio included in the mobo.
Share
September 15, 2011 9:43:13 PM

House burned down?
Man that sux... :( 
And shouldn't you find a house first before buying a new computer?

For your setup, Creative is coming out with a new sound card, you can use onboard for now and buy a dedicated sound card with the new one arrives.
HP has a new type of AIO that scans 3D objects
m
0
l
September 15, 2011 9:50:08 PM

lp231 said:
House burned down?
Man that sux... :( 
And shouldn't you find a house first before buying a new computer?

For your setup, Creative is coming out with a new sound card, you can use onboard for now and buy a dedicated sound card with the new one arrives.
HP has a new type of AIO that scans 3D objects


Yeah it does suck but no worries, we live in a hotel for now, my house is being rebuilt at the moment, I don't have to look for one! :p 
The insurance gave us money to replace the things we had so I'm putting the money on a new PC...

So, what's the new card they're coming out with and when is it due for? What does it have that's so better than the one I chose?
What's an AIO ?

Thanks ! :) 
m
0
l
September 15, 2011 10:18:38 PM

I suggest the following

Soz bout your house as well D:

Part list permalink: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1gu8
Part price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1gu8/by_merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master RR-B10-212P-G1 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($163.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.57 @ Amazon)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.57 @ Amazon)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($202.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 580 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($607.50 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 580 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($607.50 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case ($169.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 950W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Sony BD-5300S-0B Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VE248H 24.0" Monitor ($194.00 @ Mac Connection)
Monitor: Asus VE248H 24.0" Monitor ($194.00 @ Mac Connection)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2923.55
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2011-09-15 18:18 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
September 15, 2011 10:20:14 PM

with the extra money you can get any extra stuff you need
m
0
l
September 15, 2011 10:22:03 PM

Also about the SSD, I have heard more good things about Crucial, never heard of that other one
m
0
l
September 15, 2011 10:26:13 PM

Sebaslegrand said:
Yeah it does suck but no worries, we live in a hotel for now, my house is being rebuilt at the moment, I don't have to look for one! :p 
The insurance gave us money to replace the things we had so I'm putting the money on a new PC...

So, what's the new card they're coming out with and when is it due for? What does it have that's so better than the one I chose?
What's an AIO ?

Thanks ! :) 


Can't seem to find the release date on both products.
And AIO = All In One
m
0
l
September 15, 2011 11:40:22 PM

adrennn said:
I suggest the following

Soz bout your house as well D:

Part list permalink: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1gu8
Part price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1gu8/by_merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master RR-B10-212P-G1 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($163.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.57 @ Amazon)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.57 @ Amazon)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($202.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 580 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($607.50 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 580 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($607.50 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case ($169.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 950W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Sony BD-5300S-0B Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VE248H 24.0" Monitor ($194.00 @ Mac Connection)
Monitor: Asus VE248H 24.0" Monitor ($194.00 @ Mac Connection)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2923.55
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2011-09-15 18:18 EDT-0400)


Thanks for the input!
As far as the processor goes, I prefer to keep i7 as I need the Hyper-threading for other things than gaming.
I don't need that much memory, I'll be fine with 8GB's of good 2133 memory
I prefer having one big hard drive rather than 2 medium ones ;) 
Solid State is the one I have.
Both video cards are good, but I want to stick to ATI ;) 
I prefer the case I have now :p 
I also need 1000W I calculated my wattage and it goes around 963W full load... lol.
Same thing for monitors, I prefer having a big one instead of 2 smaller ones, anyways, I don't have enough space for them.
And I don't need to buy Windows, let's just say I'll borrow it long-term. :kaola: 

Oh, and I only shop at Newegg :p 
Thanks for the ideas though, I'll look into them!
m
0
l
September 15, 2011 11:41:20 PM

lp231 said:
Can't seem to find the release date on both products.
And AIO = All In One


I'll try looking for them. And thanks!
m
0
l
September 16, 2011 3:29:25 PM

The UPS provides your computer with "clean" current in order to prevent a power surge or drag current from taking down your system. It also gives you a few minutes in the event of a black out to power down your system (it also comes with auto shutodown software to do it for you if it happens in the middle of the night). It's a nice thing to have to protect your computer.

When you do build your computer make sure you get a dpc latency program. Plug and play likes to put your PCI slots in the same IRQ with the graphics cards and makes your sound card useless.
m
0
l
September 16, 2011 4:01:43 PM

Quote:
I also need 1000W I calculated my wattage and it goes around 963W full load... lol.

I assume you used an online calculator.... they always shoot very high. You would be fine with a quality(non cooler master) 750-850w.
m
0
l
September 16, 2011 10:35:28 PM

crewton said:
The UPS provides your computer with "clean" current in order to prevent a power surge or drag current from taking down your system. It also gives you a few minutes in the event of a black out to power down your system (it also comes with auto shutodown software to do it for you if it happens in the middle of the night). It's a nice thing to have to protect your computer.

When you do build your computer make sure you get a dpc latency program. Plug and play likes to put your PCI slots in the same IRQ with the graphics cards and makes your sound card useless.


I see what you mean about the UPS! Thanks! I'll consider getting one in a couple of weeks :) 
What's the DPC Latency thingy though? I don't get it :p 
m
0
l
September 16, 2011 10:35:52 PM

flyboy86 said:
Here is a much better site to find out what sort of watts you will need.

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine


Thanks a lot! I'll try it out and check.

EDIT: Just went on the site and it gave me 760W ! I'll probably get a 850W or maybe 900W but I'll change my 1000W for something else :p 
m
0
l
September 24, 2011 1:22:04 AM

Best answer selected by Sebaslegrand.
m
0
l
!