Solved

Dedicated Physx Card Questions For Those That Have Done It

I'm thinking of dedicating my gtx 260 to physics in my main system. Mainly, I just need to remove it from my 2nd computer because it conflicts with about 3 hdd bays. I'm gonna downsize it to some $50 card. So i'll have this gtx 260 either laying around doing squat or use it as a physics card in the main system for shiz and giggles.

Q6600 oc'd to 3.6ghz
asus p5n-d
ocz agility 3 120gb (arriving today)
2 WD 1tb in raid 1
8gb ddr2 1066
gtx 570
thermaltake 850w psu

The questions... when a card like the gtx 260 (216 core) is dedicated to physics, does it still have the same cooling requirements?

Is it under-utilized while in physics only meaning it needs less cooling / less power?

Is a Thermaltake TR2 RX-850 power supply sufficient for this proposed setup? I really dont have a problem selling gtx 260. I'd rather do that than buy a new power supply.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1264&ID=1830#Tab0
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dedicated physx card questions
  1. Best answer
    Power wise you should be OK as the 260 and 570 would consume about 400w combined if the 260 were running flatout, that said I don't think it will be but I've never done what you're proposing so I'll sit back and see what the other (if any) responses are.
  2. I think the (if any) is probably the key. I just hope I don't get responses like "why would you run a physx card? There's hardly any games that'd benefit." == I know Im just playing around but do have those few titles that might benefit.
  3. Best answer selected by clonazepam.
  4. I've done it before. With a 9800gt and a 5870. Look for the GenL patch. The newer versions don't require a 2nd monitor (or dummy plug) to work. 850watt should be more than enough. I did it with a 650watt PSU.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Gtx Graphics