dual msconfig settings?

I do a lot of audio work, and for those times, I have to turn off every
possible service and startup item to gain every free bit of memory I can.
I would need an easy access to another set of msconfig settings, so that I
wouldn't have to go through tweaking the msconfig each and every time.

Where does msconfig save the settings? To the registry?

Can this "dual msconfig" system happen, or do I have to set up two XP's,
the other for Audio only? Wouldn't want to do that.

XP Pro.

-Aki.

Open Task Manager and End Process or End Task on whatever.
Ctrl + Shift + Esc

To end a program with Task Manager
[[On the Applications tab, click the program that you want to end, and then
click End Task.]]

To end a process with Task Manager
[[On the Processes tab, click the process that you want to end, and then
click End Process.
Important
Be careful when ending a process. If you end an application, you will lose
unsaved data. If you end a system service, some part of the system might not
function properly.
Note
To end a process and all processes directly or indirectly created by it, on
the Process tab, right-click the process you want to end, and then click End
Process Tree. ]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:Xns952A1FBBD99B2Aki@213.243.153.2,
Aki Rintamäki <akirintamaki@despammed.com> hunted and pecked:
> I do a lot of audio work, and for those times, I have to turn off
> every possible service and startup item to gain every free bit of
> memory I can. I would need an easy access to another set of msconfig
> settings, so that I wouldn't have to go through tweaking the msconfig
> each and every time.
>
> Where does msconfig save the settings? To the registry?
>
> Can this "dual msconfig" system happen, or do I have to set up two
> XP's, the other for Audio only? Wouldn't want to do that.
>
> XP Pro.
>

> -Aki.

This would not be a recommended method - as killing tasks via the
taskmanager could and does leave the system in an "unstable" state.
To the OP - try setting up multiple hardware profiles - Rt Click <my
computer>, properties, hardware tab, hardware profiles button.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service
> Open Task Manager and End Process or End Task on whatever.
> Ctrl + Shift + Esc
>
> To end a program with Task Manager
> [[On the Applications tab, click the program that you want to end,
and then
> click End Task.]]
>
> To end a process with Task Manager
> [[On the Processes tab, click the process that you want to end, and
then
> click End Process.
> Important
> Be careful when ending a process. If you end an application, you
will lose
> unsaved data. If you end a system service, some part of the system
might not
> function properly.
> Note
> To end a process and all processes directly or indirectly created by
it, on
> the Process tab, right-click the process you want to end, and then
click End
> Process Tree. ]]
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:Xns952A1FBBD99B2Aki@213.243.153.2,
> Aki Rintamäki <akirintamaki@despammed.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I do a lot of audio work, and for those times, I have to turn off
> > every possible service and startup item to gain every free bit of
> > memory I can. I would need an easy access to another set of
msconfig
> > settings, so that I wouldn't have to go through tweaking the
msconfig
> > each and every time.
> >
> > Where does msconfig save the settings? To the registry?
> >
> > Can this "dual msconfig" system happen, or do I have to set up
two
> > XP's, the other for Audio only? Wouldn't want to do that.
> >
> > XP Pro.
> >

> > -Aki.

The best setup for you would be to have another partition or hard drive with
XP loaded on with only your audio programs.
I do that with games. Just the XP operating system and games.
When you boot you can select which system to load.