2x8 1666 corsair vengeance and p8z68-v pro motherboard

ma9u5

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Just finished building my computer and I'm getting a memok red light and it will not post. Can this motherboard not handle 2x8 1666 corsair vengeance 9-9-9-24 latency ram. I also have an i7-3770k processor. I've also followed the recommeneded slots for 2 ram chips just to make sure that wasn't the issue. So I wouls really appreciate some help.

Completely new build, with all new parts?

If so, your problem isn't the RAM. It's the motherboard and CPU (incompatible). The MemOK light lights up for that too. The RAM should be fine, though.

A Z68 board needs a BIOS flash with a Sandy Bridge CPU installed first to be able to use an Ivy CPU.

If that's the problem (it's makes the most sense), then yes.

Every Asus Z68 board I've seen that has an Ivy CPU installed without a BIOS flash first always presents with the MemOK light lit. I don't know why, but it's always the case.

Edit: I read back through your previous posts and they were about Z77 boards. Why didn't you get a Z77 board if you knew you would be getting a 3770K?

Incompatible RAM could still be a very remote possibility, but it's more likely that, if it's the RAM, the RAM is just simply bad. Vengeance is compatible with almost everything (and certainly Asus boards). An incompatible CPU is what I really think it is, though.

It might be worth it to just return the Z68 board and get a Z77 board...

ma9u5

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
Well i won this board on ebay for 40 bucks and seen that it was compatible with ivy bridge cpus. Also i maybe encountering another problem now seeing how i just smelt a very faint burning smell come from my computer because my cord on my cpu cooler barely blocked the fan but the auto shut down turned off my computer so how would i know if i jusst fried my cpu or not. Because only a red led light pops up on my mother board no beeps.

It'll do that with an incompatible CPU (or something similar. I've seen fully on, but no POST, to cycling boot loop, to what you're describing).

It's very unlikely that the CPU is fried. I mean like 1 in a million unlikely. That just doesn't happen often.

Chances are that if something is truly fried, it's the motherboard, but we have no way of knowing that without a SB CPU to try it with.

ma9u5

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
So it being incompatible can do that. But the cpu fan wasn't spinning due to the cpu cord was in the way. So should i just trybto get a p8z77 motherboard and try to test it?

Could be the fan that burned up, if the cable was completely stopping the fan from moving (definitely the most possible and probable of all the scenarios in this situation), but yes, trying a Z77 board is absolutely the best option.

Other than testing it in a Z77 board (or a flashed Z68), no.

Edit: It doesn't have to be a Z77, specifically. It can be any 7 series board (or flashed 6 series), but since you want/need a Z77 anyway, that makes the most sense, unless you know someone with a 7 series board.

chugot9218

Honorable
I believe the Pro version of that board (I have the z77 version tho) should have an onboard slot for a flash drive that allows you to put the BIOS update on the flash, plug it into the MOBO, and push a button (or something to this extent) to flash the BIOS. After flashing to the latest version for the MOBO your CPU should be POST.

chugot9218

Honorable
Ahh, sorry, it is called USB BIOS Flashback and only available on the Z77 model :/.

Well if you can't get your hands on a Sandy CPU, a new MOBO may be best, but you could try posting on the Asus ROG site and see if anyone there has advice.