Confusion between Intel B950 and i3

Status
Not open for further replies.

psommerfeld

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
So the i3-380M is clearly the faster processor. However, the B950 seems to have a faster system bus, memory bus, and graphics frequency.

Does this mean from system standpoint that a B950-based laptop/pc can be faster in some situations?

Product Name i3-380M B950
Bus/Core Ratio 19 21
System Bus 2.5 GT/s 5 GT/s
Max Memory Size 8 GB 16 GB
Memory Types DDR3-800/1066 DDR3-1066/1333
Max Memory Bandwidth 17.1 GB/s 21.3 GB/s
Graphics Base Frequency 500 MHz 650 MHz
Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency 667 MHz 1.1 GHz

Solution
Yes the graphics on the Intel® Pentium® B950 is going to better a couple of reasons but http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-intel-processor-graphics/ you can see the real differences between the graphics on the 1st generation Intel Core™ processors and the 2nd generation Intel Core processors. In the end you can use the graphics on 2nd generation processors for low end gaming or backup graphics in case a video card goes bad you can't say that same thing with the graphics on the 1st generation Intel Core processors.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
In a comparison between these processors it is important to understand that the Intel® Pentium® B950 is based on the 2nd generation Intel Core microarchitecture. The Intel Core i3-380M is using the 1st generation Intel Core microarchitecture. Because the Intel Pentium B950 is has a more advanced architecture that should give it a 10% to 15% boost at the same speed over the 1st generation Intel Core processor. The problem is that even with this boost the Intel Pentium B950 is still slower then the older Intel i3-380M in performance. http://ark.intel.com/compare/55627,50178

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

psommerfeld

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
I wish I knew the exact implications of the higher bus speeds on the 950.

For instance the graphics bus is 30% and the graphics max dynamic frequency is 65% faster. I'm guessing the graphics processing is done by a separate GPU that doesn't have much to do with the core. So does it have better graphics?

psommerfeld

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011

Thanks Christian.

Can you speak to the practical difference of graphics bus speed and graphics max frequency?

Yes the graphics on the Intel® Pentium® B950 is going to better a couple of reasons but http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/quick-reference-guide-to-intel-processor-graphics/ you can see the real differences between the graphics on the 1st generation Intel Core™ processors and the 2nd generation Intel Core processors. In the end you can use the graphics on 2nd generation processors for low end gaming or backup graphics in case a video card goes bad you can't say that same thing with the graphics on the 1st generation Intel Core processors.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Solution

psommerfeld

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011

Thanks for the detailed info! The HW video compression features are a nice feature to have!

Status
Not open for further replies.