Enabling higher refresh rate?

yamajee

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Hello,

I've got a 32" Sony Bravia TV, Model KLV-32NX500. The question is it states in most of the website that the TV supports higher than 60MHz and I'm on a Zotac GTX 460 SE, on the nVidia Control Panel and windows Control Panel, I can only choose 60 MHz as the highest refresh rate even though it does state that the monitor can stand up to 120MHz, I'm using an HDMI port, 1920x1080p resolution (native resolution). Any idea how to enable higher refresh rate on my monitor or something? I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate.

Help would be appreciated so much!

yamajee

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Wow, read on some websites that the screen will support 120mhz. Well, what can I do to get 120? This HDTV won't work?

I haven't got the time to google for you how the refresh works on a LCD TV, but I can tell you it is an electronically enhanced mode of 120mhz created by the TV itself, not a true rate that can be feed to the TV from your GPU on MOST sets. I think it is called anti-motion blur technology or something like that. There are true 120mhz sets out there, but you have to be really careful and do you homework before you buy to get one.

Without a dual link DVI port on the monitor/TV, you cannot use it at 120hz on a computer, unfortunately.

yamajee

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

Tried that, did get 85Hz max that would stay stable, and the graphics are really aweful, think I'll stick to HDMI with 60Hz.

I'm pretty sure your tv isn't meant to be used as 120hz monitor. As Jitpublisher said, the TV just creates extra frames with it.

I do have a 120hz monitor, and it's very nice. I had my old monitor next to it for an extended desktop, and I never realized how poor it was until I saw it next to this.

yamajee

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Noticed the bigggg difference, are you running HDMI and 120hz? HDMI I think is limited to 60hz so no point of buying a monitor.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
According to the Sony website that's not a 120hz screen, interpolated or otherwise, its just a regular 60hz TV. What website gives you the impression that it would be capable of 120hz?

yamajee

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

Quite need some explanation in here please,

You mentioned a dual link dvi port, I have this one

http://www.hdcabling.co.za/images/Male_VGA_to_DVI_A_Female_Adapter.jpg

I did use it as a port and put a VGA cable from the port to the TV, I got poorer graphics than HDMI, lower resolution and a max refresh rate of 85Hz

The question is, please tell me that there is a difference between what I did and the one that you're using which is a "DVI-D dual link". If so, please provide me with pictures and what I exactly need to get the thing going, I'm new to HDMI and dual DVI stuff.

Kari

Splendid

the adapter you have is for the analog signals of a DVI-I output to be routed into an analog VGA output. DVI-I has both digital and analog signals. DVI-D only has digital, dual-link DVI-D is an improved version of the digital signal and has way more bandwith enabling more stuff to pass through (higher refresh rate, higher resolutions and basically just more pixels). You can not convert dual-link DVI into anything else because it is superior to the rest (well except DP (as in DisplayPort). HDMI is pretty much basic single-link DVI-D with sound.

and as others have said, there is nothing you can do about it