ralphmeister

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Okay I'm building a budget PC for everyday stuff like web browsing word processing etc.. I'm just wondering will these parts work well together and have I left out anything?
CPU i3 2100
mobo MSI H61M-P23
ram 4gb mushkin silverline 1333
hard drive 250gb westen digital
psu 500w coolermaster elite
case arianet gamer fm-12a

I will be using integrated graphics. is it worth downgrading to a cheap psu and a pentium sandybridge as i wont be gaming or heavy processing??

any advice will be greatly aprecciated tanx

Ralph, welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

The PSU is not the component that you want to cut costs on. It is the heart of the system and it is important that it functions well. Cooler Master makes great cases; in fact I have the HAF 932. However, CM power supplies are not the greatest. I recommend a good brand such as Corsair.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

The mobo MSI H61M-P23 does not have on-board video, and you will need a Graphics card to be installed.

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=01G-P3-1371-AR&family=GeForce%20400%20Series%20Family&sw=

ralphmeister

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011

im sorry if i sound like a noob but the i3 2100 has built in integrated graphics. can i use this?? or is the h61 mobo incompatabible? i assaume it can use the cpu's graphics

NoahP

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011

I would recommend getting a LSX 650-watt psu. also getting an 6750 or and 5570 which cost around 60-70$. also get a good case with good airflow or nice fans and heatsink for the cpu u picked out

I am sorry! You are correct! I was reading the specs on the mobo and ignored the fact that the i3-2100 has integrated graphics. Since you are not doing any heavy gaming it will work for you.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Friend, what you should do is get an Apple MacMini, let me explain why:

-Firstly, it has sligthly superior configuration, MacMini is an i5 processor with 500GB
-Since this will not be your main gaming PC, you dont need to worry about upgradability. Nevertheless, its Memory and hard drive are upgradable.
-Total silence and it produces no heat, so your room temperature doenst elevate
-Small form factor and light weight, its easy to move around
-You dont have to assemble it
-It will give you an oportunity to get a feel of a diferent and somewhat superior Operational System
-Its only $600, $500 if you search for it.
-You dont waste time thinking about the parts, you simply get it.
-Bluetooth and thunderbolt port built in
-compatibility with external thunderbolt videocards for instensive gaming
-Compatible with Windows, for ocasional gaming
-Compatibile with Apple Magic Mouse. Trust me you want this.

Save yourself the headache and get a very nice computer, wich by the way, wont give you headaches..lol

Never trust a computer you cant lift! :)

doyletdude

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
Okay....
Taking part by part, the i3-2100 is a great processor, but the intergrated intel HD 2000 is very poor. Wait don't get too excited, I agree you should stick with integrated, so get the i3-2105. Its the same CPU but the Intel HD 3000, which according to benchmarks is easily twice as good. Still no good for gaming but you don't want gaming. But you still want to be able to render video well and with modern browsers using hardware accelrated and photoshop and stuff i think the boost will make a difference.

Also you have a low power rig in general it appears. I agree that a decent PSU is important but 650w is overkill. personally i don't believe in PSU overkill for myself but to save you money and because you honestly don't need more than 500w i recommend this corsair http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027 its still good quality but much cheaper than the corsair 650 linked above.

The MOBO and RAM seem adequate enough. I don't know about the case but that is personal preference anyway.
I think you should up the size of the Harddrive just to be safe though. The price difference between a 250gb and 360 or 500gb are minimal. But if you don't have a large picture or music or video collection than you can probably stick with 250gb. But if you found a 500gb for like 5$ of the same quality I wouldn't hesitate.

Also about the above post, The mac-mini is not a bad idea. But if you wanted the fun of building your own computer than don't get a mac. simple as that.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Disregard the mac fanboy. If you really want mac osx on your computer then its as easy as going to *self censored* . com and *censored* a file and then google on how to install it on your comp to make urself a hackintosh.

Onto the main topic.

I disagree with the notion that you should need a tx 650v2 seeing as you don't even use a dedicated GPU.

Hell even a cheap but quality psu like this...
Antec EA 380D
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033&Tpk=ea380d

is enough.

On the other hand, Newegg is having a sale on their Seasonic S12 PSU's which is very enticing.

Seasonic S12II 520 for $59 when it usually sells for $79 ish.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094

It's better than the CX500V2 at the same price with better quality and stability. Plus it's a seasonic... what else can go wrong? (except a DOA...)

doyletdude

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010

I actually retract my previous recommendation, as he is right (although the cx500v2 isn't bad or anything) . I didn't know they were currently at the same price. But I still recommend the better integrated graphics for your setup.

We don't have a problem with someone offering advice that differs from what we think around here, at least most of us don't ;)

It's actually not a bad suggestion, but when you start actually looking close at performance vs price it starts looking less attractive.

ralphmeister

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011

yes i definetly wont be buying a mac!!

also considering this pc will prob only less than 200w at peak would a 430w corsair do the job? it costs just a little more

ralphmeister

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011

the most that graphics that will be needed will be browser videos (youtube 720p) and viewing dvds. do you think the hd2000 would handle this? if not what is the cheapest gpu that would do the job as the i3 2105 isnt currently stocked in my store

ralphmeister

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011

this solution works out at about the same price as the i3!! id prefer the i3 if its fully capable of hd video playback as it uses less power and is a much better cpu. the llano seams like a pretty good option too though!!