980x too old?

pnico

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Hi,

Have not been in the loop so to speak. Is there anything in this system worth upgrading?

980x
2 6990
12 gig ddr3
pt6 deluxe v2 boarc.
win 7 ultimate..

No, your system is fantastic! 990X CPU is still one of the best performing CPUs to date. Just, in most applications a SB CPU will beat it, but it applications that will eat 6 cores, it is a monster. 2 hd6990s is basically the best GPU set up there is, and 12gb DDR3 RAM is very high-end. You are good to go for a few mores years.

pnico

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I use it primarily for gaming and general internet use.
Hardly go graphics unless I am doing some minor graphic editing..nothing major..

What was the final verdict on the 6990 vs the latest nvidia offering? If i remember that part, they were too closely matched and there was no real king?

pckitty4427

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011

Performance wise, there's no clear winner between the HD6990 and GTX 590. However, the GTX590 is much quieter and also smaller, making it the winner.

That's why I said basically, there are slight things that make the GTX 580 technically better I guess.

bwrlane

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
No reason to upgrade whatsoever. You can get a slightly faster CPU these days but you won't notice the difference. My rule of thumb is to upgrade every other generation and to always buy the "low end of the high end". Ie when I put my current rig together in 2009, that meant a core i7 920, upgraded since with 2*560 Ti. I plan to skip sandybridge and upgrade again some time in 2012.

In your case you already have the "high end of the high end" from the previous generation of i7, so getting a very small performance boost will be a very expensive business. I'd leave it 2 years before considering an upgrade.

your system has plenty of grunt. it doesnt need to be overclocked and your gfx cards will kill any game out atm. your system is pretty much top draw and for some1 who claims to be out of the loop you managed to put together a little beauty. yes you could upgrade to the new socket 2011 and get a sandy bridge six core and you would get a noticeable increase in productivity performance. but gaming wise there would be no difference because your gfx cards dont have enough grunt to bother either of them to cpu's so they would both max the cards and give exactly the same fps.

then its down to cost. will the next gen cpu offer enough of an upgrade to be worth the cost. the short answer for you is no. you dont do heavy cad so you wouldnt benefit from the extra horsepower. infact the system you have is way way overkill for what you use it for. gaming it will max out everything for the next 2 years at least.