fencingdude101

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
So, as most of you know, Sandy Bridge-E will be coming out in the next few months, most likely November 15Th. I am looking at building a new PC early next year with Sandy Bridge. Let's get to it.

CPU: Sandy Bridge-E i7-3930K --- Will be overclocking
Motherboard: Top-tier EVGA motherboard --- Needs to have 8 RAM slots
RAM: G.Skill 4x8 Quad channel kits at 1866 MHz --- May overclock, if possible
GPU: Either a EVGA 580 Classified or new EVGA 680 GPU air cooled --- Will overclock and get more to SLI
Drives: Multiple (3+) 1.5TB 7200RPM Western Digital Hard Drives --- No RAID
System Drive: 128GB Plextor SSD using SATA 6.0 GB/S --- Will store OS and apps
Optical Drives: 1 12X Sony Blu-Ray burner and 1 24X LITE-ON DVD burner
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W Gold PSU --- Will upgrade for multiple GPUs later
Case: Cooler Master COSMOS II Full ATX Case --- Not out yet, but will be in a few months
Cooling: G.Skill RAM Air Coolers and Corsair H100 Water cooler for CPU --- May water cool GPU(s) later
Monitors: 2 ASUS 24" 1080p monitors
Sound: Logitech 2.1 THX-certified computer speakers
Extras: SATA cables, a CAT 6 crossover cable, Keyboard and Mouse, eventual thunderbolt add-on card, etc.

So same old, what do you think? Will it have enough PSU power, any recommended upgrades that you can think of, and anything else. If I add one more Graphics Card to SLI, will I still have enough power? Also, any new Sandy Bridge/Future generation GPU news would be nice if it's relevant.

This will be mainly used for video editing and the like, though with BF3 and MW3 coming out along with other great games, I'm sure some gaming will be involved! ;)

Oh, and my budget is $3000, but I am willing to go up to $3500 if I have to.

Thanks!

fencingdude101

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
I know I shouldn't expect a release date of November 15th, but it's the only one we have now. Also, for the motherboards. As shown at IDF, so far there are three boards with 8 DIMM slots (I'm sure there'll be more). The GA-X79A-UD5, the MSI X79A-GD65, and the Intel motherboard. I'm still on the lookout for 7000/600 series GPU news.