DVI or VGA or HDMI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
DVI is a digital connection, the signal will be higher quality than VGA.

From an article

VGA is the only analog video connector in common use. An analog video signal is typically sent in three components: red, green, and blue (RGB). The color information is sent as a fluctuating electrical current, and the image quality can be degraded if the signal gets disrupted in some way, such as by interference. This is why with analog cables, the quality of the cable can actually affect the quality of the signal. In analog video cables, the information being transmitted corresponds to actual light values for the monitor to show.

Digital signals, which include HDMI, DVI and DisplayPort, send data as a stream of 1's and 0's represented by pulses...

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

I read something somewhere and it said that DVI is locked at 60Hz and the BenQ monitor is 120Hz... Also the BenQ dont got Audio but I would use HDMI for my for my T.V. sometimes when watching movies :D... I Also heard the VGA isn't as good as DVI but DVI is locked at 60Hz refresh rate and someone(I heard form some threads) also said that DVI is dead(He probably meant it's no use/not useful anymore)... So I posted this thread and want it to work with the BenQ because im going to buy a monitor kinda similar at lower price(Still looking around)... Best port for the BenQ for Gaming(Most of the time 80%)+Video(Watch movies 15%)PhotoEditing/VideoConverting(CS5.5 - 5%)?

jeremy1183

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
I have been using the DVI-D on my alienware OptX 23 inch 3D monitor and really I cant tell much diff between that and HDMI. Maybe it's just me. I'd use HDMI just because its quicker to connect/disconnect. Only reason i use DVI is for the 3d vision

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

What about VGA? do you see any different between DVI and VGA? HDMI is an All In One but i no need that and i also got one right now too from PS3...

jeremy1183

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
DVI is a digital connection, the signal will be higher quality than VGA.

From an article

VGA is the only analog video connector in common use. An analog video signal is typically sent in three components: red, green, and blue (RGB). The color information is sent as a fluctuating electrical current, and the image quality can be degraded if the signal gets disrupted in some way, such as by interference. This is why with analog cables, the quality of the cable can actually affect the quality of the signal. In analog video cables, the information being transmitted corresponds to actual light values for the monitor to show.

Digital signals, which include HDMI, DVI and DisplayPort, send data as a stream of 1's and 0's represented by pulses of electricity. Rather than having a variable current, only a high and low voltage are sent, corresponding to the binary bits. Interference is less of a concern. Analog cables can theoretically carry information for an infinite resolution, while digital signals are limited by their bandwidth. However, this is rarely ever a problem, and the advantages of digital cables tend to outweigh this possible detriment.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.