Sign in with
Your question

Potentially Faulty PSU (burn in hell, Raidmax)

Last response: in Components
December 16, 2011 11:20:46 PM

I recently purchased a bunch of components from Newegg with which to build my first custom rig. Against my peers' better judgment, I opted for the relatively cheap Raidmax 630w PSU. Specifically, I was advised to avoid that manufacturer all together, but I countered by bringing to light the numerous sterling reviews of the particular product I was eyeballing. You can find it, along with said reviews, here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

After many hours of work, I managed to assemble my unit. My friends tell me that everything appears to be connected properly. I took some shoddy pictures of my work, you can view them here: http://www.mediafire.com/?bimdg2alucl6t92

I've got a big problem, however. When I try to power up the PC, the case's rear fan flinches for a second, and then I get nothing. The PSU's LED does not turn on, and there are no other signs that the computer has actually started to run. Basically, it would appear that I get a very short burst of power before the PSU ceases to function. Halp?

Other things worth noting:
- The voltage switch is set to 115v, not 230v. I live in North America.
- The rear switch on the PSU is set to "1" instead of "0"
- I've firmly connected both the P20 and P4 power leads into the motherboard.
- I've tried another outlet.

Finally, here are all the pieces that make up my build:
Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000

GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply

Rosewill CHALLENGER-U3 Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

I appreciate any support you guys can give. This issue is urgent, as the PSU only has a 30-day return policy. Thanks.

More about : potentially faulty psu burn hell raidmax

a c 80 ) Power supply
December 16, 2011 11:56:08 PM

The thing you need to do right away is call the tech support of the manufacturer of the power supply and start a support ticket , you may need it for a potential RMA. The next thing is to start an RMA process with the place you bought it from. Did you buy it from Newegg? Once the RMA is approved you have a period of time that the RMA number is good for and all this will give you time to sort this out if you need to go through with the RMA or not. Just because you start the RMA doesn't mean you have to go through with it but it does establish the fact that you are having a problem with the power supply. The tech support may have some sloutions for you or may confirm that you do need to do a RMA. I once applied for a RMA for an Asus motherboard and ended up not doing it and 6 months later reapplied for the RMA and this time went through with it. The fact that I had previously applied for the RMA helped in the second time.
If you had a power supply tester then you could see if the psu was working or not , but if you don't then you could get a fan and plug it directly into one of the leads from the psu and turn it on and see if the fan works, you could also play with that switch in the back of the psu to see if that helps. If the fan doesn't turn on then I would say it's a good chance you have a DOA. It's not unusual and it does happen.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 16, 2011 11:58:31 PM

it is not "potentially faulty" when you have a raidmax.

IT IS FAULTY.

Go grab yourself a reputable seasonic/ corsair/ xfx/ antec psu now. Raidmax's are known to have cheap quality parts in their power supplies which cannot do what their rated to do (its the max output not continous) and will more often than now BLOW UP and kill other PC components with you.

Now go grab another one that is more reputable and all your problems will be solved.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 17, 2011 12:00:23 AM

Make sure the cpu power pins are connected(comp wont do anything without the cpu) and make sure the cpu is seated correctly, other than that idk what tot ell you
m
l
a c 92 ) Power supply
December 17, 2011 12:40:03 AM

How do you know its a bad PSU and not a bad motherboard? Or a motherboard installed incorrectly. (standoff issue.) You need to do the things in this thread.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

Yes that PSU is junk. Anytime you need to set the voltage via switch, you want to put that PSU back. Garbage. Rosewill does make some good PSU, but they are newer ones that don't have a switch.
m
l
December 17, 2011 2:29:42 AM

raidmax are one of the worst brands out there - they make their gear to look cool, not to work. Their cases are a similar story. If I were you, get a Corsair PSU, if you can get yours refunded.
m
l
!