Sign in with
Your question

Z77 Extreme9 - No optical drive, how do I get the drivers on?

Last response: in Motherboards
September 28, 2012 2:27:09 AM

Hello, I've recently purchased a new Motherboard. Whenever I start up the computer it restarts, not before flashing a blue error screen for a fraction of a second. I am currently attempting to install the new drivers onto the old HDD that I swapped into the new computer. Unfortunately for me, the optical drive connection seems to have become obselete. Is it possible to boot the drivers from a usb?

So far I've attempted to load a USB with all the files on the driver CD that came with the Mobo but the computer continues to attempt to start up windows 7, which causes the animation to freeze, a blue error screen to flash and the computer to restart (no progress there).

This is my first attempt at booting something from a USB.

Z77 Asrock extreme9
Windows 7
HDD from old PC
No optical drive connectors
a b V Motherboard
September 28, 2012 2:44:17 AM

Buy a DVD drive for $15.
m
l
September 28, 2012 2:56:12 AM

Quote:
Whats on the Hard disk. If it has windows on it already, there is your problem. Erase it first.

So it's only possible to change Mobo drivers by reformatting?
m
l
a b \ Driver
a c 216 V Motherboard
September 28, 2012 3:10:37 AM

The blue screen error is most likely:

STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE

If the HDD is from a motherboard that was operating in IDE mode and you're now using it in AHCI mode you will need to change the new motherboard's SATA controller to operate in IDE mode temporarily until you can boot into Windows 7 and edit the registry entry that tells Windows 7 that your hard disk controller is going to be operating in AHCI mode.

To resolve this issue yourself, enable the AHCI driver in the registry before you change the SATA mode of the boot drive from IDE mode to to AHCI mode.

To do this, follow these steps:

1. Exit all Windows-based programs.

2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

3. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.

4. Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV

5. In the pane on the right side, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.

6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.

7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

On the next system restart press delete after the POST beep to enter the BIOS Setup and change the SATA controller mode from IDE to AHCI.
m
l
Related resources
!