Music Computer Build - Need opinions...

a_young240

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Hi guys, first time poster but I've lurked around a bit. Anyways, it has come time to possibly build a computer for my project studio and I need some opinions/input since I am more of an audio engineer than a PC builder.

I use a Digidesign 002 Rack (now Avid) interface that connects via Firewire 400, so that is a must. I also use a lot of software synths such as Hybrid, as well as guitar amp emulators such as Eleven for guitar demos. I am currently using a white iMac, the generation before the silver/black and I need more power.

I did a bit of research and have put a bit of a computer together, but I would like to see what others have to say. I won't be gaming or doing any graphics, so I would like the bare minimum in that area, however, I do like using dual monitors. I also do not care about a really fancy case. As for hard drives, I am only going to have 1 system drive and record to HDD's using a NexStar Hard Drive Dock, although I will probably put an additional drive or 2 inside at some point for extra storage. I won't be overclocking at the start, but I do like having the option of doing it in the future. I am also not on a high-roller budget - I'm looking for as much bang for buck as I can get. It would be great to be able to run 8 copies of Eleven and 6 copies of Hybrid at once, but I can easily bounce it down to save processing power and a few bucks.

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Pro REV3.0 ATX P67 LGA1155 DDR3 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI Sandy Bridge B3
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked LGA1155 3.3GHZ Sandy Bridge 6MB
Memory: Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Kit
System Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc OEM
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti 970MHZ 1GB 4.2GHZ GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini-HDMI DX11 PCI-E
DVD Drive: LG GH22NS70 Super Multi 22X SATA DVD Writer Black OEM
Power Supply: Seasonic S12II 520W 20/24PIN ATX Active PFC 80+ Bronze 6+8PIN PCI-E 120MM Fan
Case: NZXT Beta Evo ATX Mid Tower Case 4X5.25 5X3.5INT No PS Front Audio USB Black

Thanks for any help,
A

Solution
You'll want to get 1600mhz memory. It's about the same price and a little faster.

Also, the Samsung Spinpoint F3 is a quieter and cheaper drive for the same performance. They don't sell it on ncix.com, though.

You can get a cheaper card than that. Maybe try a Radeon HD 5670.

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
You'll want to get 1600mhz memory. It's about the same price and a little faster.

Also, the Samsung Spinpoint F3 is a quieter and cheaper drive for the same performance. They don't sell it on ncix.com, though.

You can get a cheaper card than that. Maybe try a Radeon HD 5670.

Solution