GTX 460 size question

martinc77

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade the video card in my HP PC. I've decided on the EVGA GTX 460 but I'm worried it won't fit my motherboard. This is a picture of the motherboard:
85556fe11792bfc966285de09b5536e0.jpg

The red circles have something plugged in, I think it's the wireless adapter and the other is a cable that runs to the front of the case.
Will this card fit in either thickness or length, and if it doesn't is there an equivalent card anyone could recommend that will. My PC is the HP Pavilion Elite m9510f Desktop. I already ordered a 500w PSU for when I'm ready to buy the video card, so that's not an issue.
I really don't want to upgrade the motherboard because that would mean I would have to also buy a copy of windows. I'm pretty sure the HP pre-install version wouldn't work with a new motherboard, though I'm not certain of that.

4745454b

Titan
You should be fine size wise I think. You have enough room with the 2 slots. The GTX460 isn't horribly long, so as long as there is a bit of space at the end of your board you should be fine. (room for the card to hang out where the 24pin ATX plug is.) The wifi card might block the air cooling on the GTX460 some, but it shouldn't be much of a problem.

drummingfish80

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011

I've been wanting to do the same exact upgrade to my m9510f hp elite. I haven't bought a gtx 460 yet, or a psu because I've been researching online to see what psu and (good)video cards would fit. Any luck? What psu did you buy? GTX460 fit? Did you have to modify the inside of the HP case? If you could help me out with educating me on your experience, would be GREAT! Trying to do everything myself. Thanks for your time.

martinc77

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
I bought a OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W PSU ($55 at the time minus rebate) and a EVGA GTX 460 EE with lifetime warranty ($155 at the time minus rebate). Both fit easily into the case, I was worried that the card would be to long or thick but that didn't end up being the case.
In length it reaches just about to the RAM and in thickness it reaches just over the white plug (see left red circle in my pic). I just pushed the cable down a little and it didn't hurt anything (the cable leads to the front of the case for either the USB, Audio Jacks or Card Readers and all those work fine). It's not thick enough to bother the Wireless LAN card port (2nd red circle).
The PSU is modular but I had to use all the cables included and it's pretty tight in there, so you could buy any other quality PSU I suppose. Even though it is kinda tight spaced, the airflow seems to be just fine. I get 39C on idle and 75-80C when playing games like The Witcher 2.
The only complained I have about the card is that the fan is kinda noisy over 50% speed, but I'm kinda picky about extra noise and the case is right next to me, so your experience may vary. From what I read the noise is common on the EE (external exhaust model).
Performance wise it's a huge upgrade from the 9500GS that came with the PC (not sure if that's what you have), and I'm very happy with what I received for the money. I hope that helps.

drummingfish80

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Thank You very much!!! You nailed all my concerns! I didn't want the card to overlap the wireless port, since I have 0 experience on changing out computer components. But I figure... If these young "kids" can read a manual and work on their desktop, why can't I do it myself as well. I'll eventually buy a bigger tower so I could fit a "beefy" psu, SLI system, new processor and motherboard, and etc.. But only when I'm ready to fork over the cash to build my own. And last, I'm glad to know a 500w is actually good enough for that video card because Nvidia told me "at-least" 500w for the gtx 460. And yes I do have the "crappy" 9500 GS. I couldn't even play WOW on higher settings. Thanks A LOT for helping a fellow gamer. Cheers!