New computer - one long continuous beep after POST.

hexagonalbolts

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Hello everyone,

I've made a new computer.

Originally the computer turned on fine, but the PSU had a very very loud fan so we returned the PSU, it came in a bundle with the case so we had to return that too and put all of the stuff in a new case with a new PSU.

Now when I turn it on, I get the usual single POST beep, then after a wait of about 5 seconds there is one long continuous beep. I checked all of the cables were plugged in properly, and they seemed to be to the best of my knowledge, I shut the case up again, and still there is the one long beep. I don't know if the beep would stop if we left the computer for a long time because I'm concerned this might damage it. The CPU fan is working fine, by the way.

I've looked up POST codes and read other threads but a long single beep seems to mean a variety of things - most frequently the PSU, graphics card or RAM. When I made the computer the fast time around I tried to change the RAM speed settings to the correct settings, the BIOS was quite confusing (there were speed options for two different sets of RAM and regardless of if you changed the speed settings the default speed number would always be right next to it which I found strange). I think it was only a small change from the defaults, and the computer still turned on fine then after I did this, so I'd be surprised if it was that.

Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1155, 1366, AM2, AM3
G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V
Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3 Socket 1155 7.1 Channel Audo ATX Motherboard
Coolermaster CM690 II Lite with Coolermaster GX 650W PSU *Special Offer Bundle* -
Samsung HD204UI Spinpoint F4 2TB Hard Drive SATA 5400RPM 32MB Cache - OEM
Gigabyte GTX 560Ti OC 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini HDMI PCI-E Graphics card
LiteOn IHAS122 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black
Corsair 60GB Force 3 SSD - 2.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s - Read 550MB/s Write 490MB/

I've made this computer for my little brother who is leaving home in a few days, a long series of setbacks has kept messing things up and I need it to be finished in time so any help would be massively appreciated. Thank you.

hexagonalbolts

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011

What do I do about a short?

hexagonalbolts

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
I can't seem to edit for some strange reason, anyway:

It does make the POST beep successfully and doesn't shut itself down, which I would have expected it to do with a short...?

might depend what is shorting . Check the stand offs behind the motherboard are in the right locations

Try disconnecting the power and reset buttons , and starting the computer by shorting the two power pins with a screw driver

hexagonalbolts

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011

This will sound stupid but I have a major phobia of electricity from almost dying from an electric shock when I was younger and my family are pretty technically incompetent so I'd like try a few other things before resorting to this! Checking the stand offs seems like a good start.

hexagonalbolts

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Hi,

I had a big fiddle with the inside refitting everything and then started the computer again, it still made the beep, but this time I waited to see what happened, the computer went to asking me to install a system disk as normal. I restarted and went in to bios and then to the RAM settings, a warning came up:

'The system has experienced failures because of overclocking or changes of voltages

Last settings in this page may now coincide with current H/W state'

I had set the RAM settings to their correct timings 9-9-9-24, but when I did this there were other buttons I didn't want to interfere with that might have altered the RAM's speed, such as one which said 'turbo' and some number that it said depended on the processor. I put the RAM to its default 'auto' setting (which I think is 11-11-11-28 because it has that to the side) and now the computer starts up without the beep noise - but I would like to ensure the RAM is running at its maximum speed, what should I do?

hexagonalbolts

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
In addition every time the computer starts it asks if I would like to put it in RAID mode, I have an SSD that I want to install windows too and an HDD. Should I put it in RAID mode...? My understanding was that I wasn't meant to.

I have a fear of falling off high things since I've already done it once and it didnt work out too well the first time .

But what you need to know is that after the power supply its a maximum of 12 volts so even if you lick the power connectors all you are going to get is a tingling sensation

aceaceace

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
I thought I would add this for anyone else that has a Gateway model #DX4831 DX4831-01u purchased August 2010. Pretty nice reliable desktop, and never any problems until yesterday.

Yesterday: no monitor and no beeps. I disconnected everything, even the power to the SATA drive and the power to the DVD drive, plus removed the dual boot video card and still the same, monitor was black and zero beeps. Removed 2 sticks of memory and still the same, no beeps or monitor. Removed all 4 of the memory sticks and I finally got it to give me something: one long continuous beep. It probably means other things too, but I thought I could share this, if you remove all the memory from the DX4831 Gateway desktop you get one long continuous beep, which also tells me my motherboard is at least getting to that level of diagnostics, so that was a plus too.

I just put one stick out of the 3 of memory back in and got the computer to work, gives one short beep on bootup (I think 1 beep on bootup is the common sign for successful POST, which is good) and booted into Win 7.

Now to figure out which stick is bad, or maybe it was oxidized contacts. I thought I was going to have to replace the MB. Sweet success !!

BTW: I watched a friend lick a 12 volt HP battery charger back in 1976 to see if it was working; knocked him and his chair over backward. I still smile about that.

aceaceace

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
As I recall he was a bit short in the brain dept before the incident, but he didn't get hurt, just a big jolt. What I took away from that moment, was never ever test things with your tongue. :kaola:

Back to the desktop ... all the memory sticks were OK. It was either oxidation on the contacts, or dust, or a memory stick came unseated after 2 years of working OK. Took an hour to debug, because I wasn't reading it at first as a memory issue. I almost pulled the CPU, and thought the MB was dead, but then went back to trying all the easy fixes first and wound up pulling all the memory out and put it all back in snugly and the system works fine now. Seemed way too easy, but a happy ending.

berserker-82

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

On any computer, when you have all the ram out it will never post. the difference between the series of beeps, is always a memory problem, ram, or in some cases your video card, the internal ram in it, etc. first unplug everything from it. Then open up casing, remove all ram sticks and video card, and cmos (bios) battery, be careful on the battery some have a very flimsy catch you must release, if you are not careful you will break the catch!! wait 30 min or so just to be safe. put the video card back in, then start with 1 ram stick into the first slot. start computer, if you get the same result you have been getting. hold down power button, turn off machine, then put a different ram stick in, you can do i9t in a different slot too, if you want. But my point is to check all ram sticks and all slots one at a time. Most of the time you will find your culprit, and it is usually a bad slot not the ram stick. If you are still having issues, remove video card and go back to the integrated. Hopefully this will help some of you. Cheers and good day..

berserker-82

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
lol, Also make sure to put you bios battery back in:] And yes sometimes just cleaning them out and getting the stick and the slot clean, will solve the problem. I have seen just about every type of memory issue that crashes computers.. I do computer/smart device/ home/so networking, repairs and any issue really. This a very common problem for a computer. If any of you are nervous or inexperienced with handling comuter components, it is really not that hard, just make sure you are grounded all POWER is off, unplugged, at all times you are inside the machine working!!! Also that when put back in the chips are in as they should be, solid locked and stable.... If anyone has any question feel free to email me and if I can help walk you through, I will gladly do so..