Computer Stutters for 1-2 seconds

dmce_mason

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
I recently built myself a new gaming PC. All high end components and i was happy with the overall build and look of the computer. I have been having this issue since i first installed windows where the system will stutter for about 1 second every once in a while. It happens when im only running chrome or when im playing 4v4's on starcraft with music playing and the internet open. So i dont think its caused by any single thing. One idea i have is that the OC is causing it. I have an i7 2500k 3.8GHz OC'd to 4.0 GHz.

Here are system specs:
MSI Intel Z68 Motherboard
Water Cooled Intel Core i7 2500k OC'd @4.0GHz (Couldn't go higher because the voltage was getting high [Like 1.5v at 4.2GHz])
8GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX ram at 1600MHz
2 AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB cards (CrossfireX'd)
D-Link wireless N Extreme network adapter
60GB OCZ SSD
1.5TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDD
1000W Fully modular PSU
Antech Lanboy Air

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Id just like to get this system i just spent $1500 on up and running well. I can RMA anything to Newegg to try to swap out parts. Thanks in advance.

DoomsWord89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
Those are some awfully high voltages for such a modest OC, what is your current Voltage at 4.0ghz?

Do you have the same issue at stock clocks?

Also, I had the same issue with a Vertex 2 some time ago. That may very be what is causing your issues, have you updated said SSD to the latest firmware?

dmce_mason

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Currently, Running DiRT3 in the backround, iTunes, Skype, and Chrome, Im at 1.304. My friend is the computer guy so i wouldnt have checked that, He didnt want to go over 4.0 for that reason. I havnt tried stock clocks, I can do that now. And i didnt know the OCZ SDD's had a firmware. Where might i find an updater?

DoomsWord89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011

Something does not sound quite right, OC from 4.0ghz to 4.2ghz should not require such a hefty increase in voltage (nearly .200). It may just be that your chip does not want to go above 4.0ghz, but things don't add up.

The firmware can be found at the OCZ website, or by following the link provided below.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/ssd_tools/OCZ_Vertex_2,_Vertex_LE,_Agility_2/

If you are unfamiliar with updating SSD firmware please properly research the subject before doing so and back-up all essential data. Please, only consider a firmware update if nothing else I suggested seems to be the source of your problem.

I suggest having a word with you friend before doing anything other than restoring fail safe defaults in BIOS.

dmce_mason

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Ok, Do you think its a bad processor? Or Motherboard? Because i saw people OC'ing the same processor to 4.5 on water cooled without getting past 1.2v. I can RMA whatever i need to through newegg, But i would like to do it soon. Thanks for the help, Mason.

DoomsWord89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011

If you are able to contact your friend and have a word with him about the problems you are having, then I suggest doing so before you consider an RMA.

If you have not already done so, now would be a good time to look through your motherboard manual and familiarize yourself with your BIOS. If you are not in possession of said manual one can often be downloaded via MSI's motherboard driver page.

Also, would it be possible to get the model of your motherboard and power supply?

dmce_mason

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Yup, I have all the boxes :D i usualy dont throw stuff away, Even my lantech case box.

I gotta make one change.. Its an Intel Core i7 2600k LGA 1155 Also, Its not a vertex 2 SSD its an Agility 3.

The motherboard is an MSI Z68A-GD80 B3

PSU is an OCZ 1000W ZX Series

Also i talked to my friend wensday and he had nothing to say. He knows its been doing that for a while now.

dmce_mason

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Ok, So... Being as forgetful as i am, My friend says the factory clock was 3.4 not 3.8, Sorry, Also, He said that we did try bringing down the clock speed and it still stuttered. Sorry about that. So im thinking i just have to RMA my processor and mobo?

DoomsWord89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011

The Agility/Vertex 3 has been plauged with issues, one of the most prolific being the one you described. They are known to halt, freeze and cause BSODs constantly for some people.

If I had to guess, I would say that the Agility 3 is likey the cause of your halting problems and should be replaced with a more competent product if you are able to do so.

dmce_mason

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Hmm... Ok Havnt BSOD'd so thats good, But i shall send out the hard drive!!! haha, Thanks for your help, If that doesnt work ill post again or something. This works well for me also because when i installed all my games to my 2nd HDD very sloppily, In a new folder for every game and such. I wanted to reinstall windows but didnt want the hastle, Now i have a reason to.

Here are 2 SSD's i could replace my current one with:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233188

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220602

Either of them ok?

dmce_mason

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Wow... The RMA date on the SDD just passed, 30 days just a few days ago... That sucks. Well, I guess ill wait and buy a different one later. Damn. My friend must have not read the reviews because alot of them said BSOD issues.

DoomsWord89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011

Indeed, the Agility 3 is currently a complete mess and is best avoided until OCZ sorts said SSD out.

Currently, there are few brands that have stable SATA III products. One being Intel, the other being Crucial. I personally use an Intel 510 (SATA III) and 320 (SATA II) series SSD and I have not had any issues with either of them as of yet.

Seeing as I personally have never used a Patriot or Corsair SSD, I cannot speak for their level of stability or quality.

dmce_mason

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Ok, I bought a 500 GB HDD to use while my ssd was out and then to keep after wards (Because it would probably be past the 30 day return) but after installing windows on the HDD it still stutters so it wasnt the SSD, Im going to try running for a while on one stick of my 8gb of ram, Then the other and see if either stutters. If its not that then the only other things could be the motherboard or processor. Im pretty sure its not the video cars as i had that before this compuiter was built and never had issues.

dmce_mason

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Right now i can conclude that it was the ram, After installing a different set (From my old computer 2x2gb) i have sesen a general performance increase. After playing starcraft there was no stuttering and in guitar hero it doesnt drop down to 15 frames anymore (Which happened 2-3 time per song) mSo i will RMA the HyperX Ram to kingston, Thanks for your help :p

dmce_mason

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
It just did it. ***! Now its either the motherboard or processor. Fuuuuuuuu stupid *** computer... Damnit, This pisses me off so much, Im about to just RMA EVERY single part... Holy ***. Well i guess ill arrange to have to motherboard and CPU sent back. This bugs me so much that ive had this many issues...