Gigabyte 5770 Card Not Detected by Windows 7 64-bit

badkarma9924

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
Currently I am running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, with a ASUS P7H55-M Pro motherboard. The card is installed in the correct 2.0 PCI slot, has power from the power supply (which is 775w) and the only 6 prong power connection on the card is connected and powered. The fan spins, I get no POST beeps or warnings, and it refuses to be detected by the OS in device manager. I have attempted to install both the drivers from gigabyte and from ATI in the form of the catalyst control, and while all other parts of the installer do install, it cannot detect the card so it does not install a driver.

Why would the card not be detected? I have the bios graphics boot option set to [PCI/PEG] so that should be fine, and I am running an i3 2.93Ghz processor. Anyone have any suggestions?

calinkula

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
If the card was OK I would expect for you to see a generic VGA device in the Device Manager before you installed the drivers.

You could try to refresh the list of devices in the Device Manager to see if it shows up and if it does then maybe Windows is acting a little goofy. If you had a second known working card you could drop that in and sees if it shows up in device manager.

If a second card works, then you know the 5770 has died. If it doesn't then I would guess either the PCI slot on your mobo has gone bad or you have a big windows issue .

badkarma9924

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011

Thanks for the reply, and I have tried to refresh the list. I get notta. The card is very new and I have no idea why it could be dead. I think there might be some issue with trying to get the mobo to use it... this motherboard has been damn frustrating. Sadly I have no second card to try. I am currently trying to install ubuntu on the machine to see if a different OS sees the hardware. If it doesnt I will assume dead card.