Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Recently, Search Assistant and Quick Launch began showing
up on my toolbar. I do not want them showing. I right
mouse click on the toolbar and grab Toolbar and remove
the checkmark on both of these items and they are
removed. However, the next time I startup they return.

Is there any way to permanently stop these items from
showing up?

Thanks,
Tom

Tom wrote:
> Recently, Search Assistant and Quick Launch began showing
> up on my toolbar. I do not want them showing. I right
> mouse click on the toolbar and grab Toolbar and remove
> the checkmark on both of these items and they are
> removed. However, the next time I startup they return.
>
> Is there any way to permanently stop these items from
> showing up?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

The Search Assistant toolbar is a parasite/malware program.

Go to Start / Run and type the following command:

Regsvr32 /u C:\Windows\System32\omniband.dll

Click OK.

Open Windows Explorer and rename C:\Windows\System32\omniband.dll to
old_omniband.dll and reboot the computer..

Go to this site and run the online spyware scan:
http://aumha.org/a/noads.htm

Download the following programs to remove the parasite.

Lavasoft Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
SpyBot S&D - http://www.safer-networking.org/
CWShredder : http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/CWShredder.exe

--