Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Motherboard compatibility with a higher end CPU.

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • CPUs
  • Compatibility
Last response: in Motherboards
September 28, 2012 5:16:22 PM

Hello everyone! I could use a little help :) 

For starters, heres my system specs: (I'll just throw what CPU-Z says :X hope it helps)

--Motherboard--
Model: 0U723D
Chipset: nForce 680i SLI SPP

-- GTX 480 (fermi)

-- 8GB DDR2 Ram

-- Core 2 Extreme Q6850 @ 3.00GHz OC'd to 3.33 GHz

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to know whats the best CPU I'd be able to put in this thing for gaming thats not crazy expensive, but I'm willing to spend some money. I know its a LGA 775 socket, and I also know those aren't as common anymore or WAY overpriced still. My current CPU is still priced for something like 1000 bucks and its definitely not worth that. I'm pretty sure the CPU is the huge bottleneck I experience, although I can still play a lot of the games on Ultra/high graphics. I've browsed around on the net to no avail, I remember a while back I found a chart with all the MB types etc that would tell me what I need to know but I cant find it again :X Anyway, reply for further information if needed, I'll check back regularly :D  Thanks everyone!

More about : motherboard compatibility higher end cpu

Best solution

a c 223 V Motherboard
a c 108 à CPUs
September 28, 2012 7:14:14 PM

You're at least four generations behind.

The only LGA775 Socket CPUs that are faster than your current Qx6850 are the QX9650 and QX9770. That's if you can find any.

That doesn't mean that the QX9650 and QX9770 are supported by your motherboard's BIOS.

If you're looking at spending that kind of money for just a CPU you're better off buying new modern CPU, motherboard and memory than pouring it into obsolete end-of-life technology.
September 29, 2012 3:28:47 AM

I figured as much =\ i apreaciate the input.
m
l
September 29, 2012 3:29:04 AM

Best answer selected by yoosfulidiot.
m
l
!