Rampage 2 Gene backplate

mrlime09

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
I have the Rampage 2 Gene at the moment and Have a 990x with the stock intel cooler on it. I have had a string of bad luck as of late and plan on buying a cheap cpu cooler

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

When installing this cooler since I already have a back plate would I need to just set the bracket to fit the holes or do I need to remove my motherboard I don't mind doing that lol but I'd love to save time. The bracket on the stock 990x cooler bracket seems to be the same size and shape of the Hyper 212 evo plus.

morbious81

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
The new HS should come with a backplate....If screws on the old backplate match up with the holes on the new HS, I don't see why you couldn't use it. just make sure the HS is in place and secured right. Do you not have an access port to the back of your MOBO? Most cases have that now a day. most of the time the stock plate does not match up with an aftermarket HS, if it does I'd say give it a try. always make surethat you're grounded, and use a good thermal paste like Arctic Silver

morbious81

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
Nice looking case. What's the piller accross the middle do?
Kind of odd that they didn't put a hole for the cpu. That's become all but standard. Well like I said the new heat sink will come with a back plate if the stock plate doesn't line up. If you have to take your mobo out this time, you could always make an access port while it's out if you plan to use this case for future builds.