Sign in with
Your question

Can Graphics Card Cause Boot Up Problems?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 16, 2011 10:00:17 AM

My system rather quickly started to work slowly, browsers started to freeze, right clicking on things hung and then the system wouldn't boot to windows. If I do a clean install the system will not go back to as fast and responsive as before but it would work but in about a week the same thing.

I ran Sandra Lite 2011 benchmarking software and the only thing that show any problem is the video card. When I put my finger on the back of the card just on the other side of the main chip it's hot. I also rean Prime95 for 24 hours without any problem.

How can I find the problem on a clean installed system?
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2011 3:12:56 PM

What temperatures do you get on the GPU ?

Download speed fan or any other monitoring temp for you card.

If you got an amd/ati card, i think the latest driver has some problems.

Try an older one.

Also be sure to have Microsoft framework 2, 3 and 4 updated.

But if you got an nvidia card no worries. just be sure to have the latest drivers.

What's you computer configuration. Maybe your video card is bottle neck.
m
l
July 16, 2011 6:17:08 PM

dextermat said:
What temperatures do you get on the GPU ?

Download speed fan or any other monitoring temp for you card.

If you got an amd/ati card, i think the latest driver has some problems.

Try an older one.

Also be sure to have Microsoft framework 2, 3 and 4 updated.

But if you got an nvidia card no worries. just be sure to have the latest drivers.

What's you computer configuration. Maybe your video card is bottle neck.

My system worked beautifully for. . .forever, this is something new. Your idea about the new ATI drivers sounds plausible?
My system is listed but I took out the SSD to see if it was the problem.
m
l
July 26, 2011 12:35:54 AM

Update:
Now when I try to do a clean install of 64 bit of Windows 7 if I go to the place where you choose the partition to install the OS and delete the partition and install on the unpartitioned hard drive it can install there as it had many installs before this problem. If I try to install Windows XP and format the HDD I can then install Windows 7 but the system doesn't work as it use to with clean installs. I got a new Video card, a MSI R5770 Hawk and it doesn't help.

The SSD doesn't work at all anymore so I am using IDE HDD that I had around holding the door open or papers from blowing off my desk. I don't know if this is related but I can charge my phone by USB when the PC is "Shut Down". Also, after these problem I wrongly hooked up the FireWire front panel plug to a motherboard USB header and that burned out my mouse and keyboard, DOH! :o 

I am afraid that my mobo is malfunctioning and I don't know how to determine that, I ran Prime 95 for twenty four hours and no problem and Sandra but I can only see a yellow bang on the Video card but other that obvious Bangs don't yet know how to interpret the info from it.
m
l
Related resources
!