Ivy CPU + Sandy mobo, out of the box compatibiliby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
How compatible are the current Sandy bridge motherboards and the future ivy bridge processors? I read it needs a bios update. So, if I take out of the box an ivy bridge processor and a sandy bridge motherboard, will they boot or not?

Im currently interested in the board BOXDH67GDB3 and plan on pairing it witj i7 ivy bridge, but I want to do it out of the box.

Solution
for htpc, ivb should be better than sb according to all the leaks and rumors. intel is promising up to 60% increase in gpu performance (with intel hd 4000 igp). hopefully intel will also fix the 23.976 fps problem their current igpus have. ivb will also inclue widi, support up to 3 displays, quick sync 2 etc.
wait for the new platform to come out, get tested, bugs get worked out. meanwhile, save up.

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
i just have to say, i dont like intel boards. they work ok but lack so many features for what this board costs you can get the same thing from ASUS, MSI, GIGABYTE, etc with more usb 3.0 ports, more sata 3.0 and a much much better bios.
since all motherboards perform about the same, features are all that matter.

and no they wont work out of the box. anytime you have a motherboard that needs a bios update to support the processor, the processor wont work with that motherboard at all untill that update is done. you can just take it to your local computer repair shop and they can throw in a compatible one to flash it, but they will likely charge you half a days pay.
better to wait like 13thmonkey said.

if you haven't bought yet, and can hold out till ivb comes out and gets tested, get a ivb motherboard with z7x or h7x chipset. ivb should run perfectly with the chipsets designed for it, with full set of ivb features enabled out of the box.

If you already have a Sandy Bridge motherboard then you are trying to figure out if the Ivy Bridge cpu will work on your motherboard ? If you have a Sandy Bridge cpu then you are not going to see much of an improvement in performance , an upgrade in the cpu is done every three releases or so to get the benefit of a performance increase. To go from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge is a waste of money that could be used in some other area of the computer that would see an increase in perfomance. One such area is the video card and unless you have a GTX 580 or an AMD 6970 then an up grade in that area would be an improvemant especially with the impending release of the new cards ffrom both manufacturers. If you are a gamer then the new video card makes the most sense.
What do you have now for components?

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006

Yeah, makes sense to wait, will get items at ebay.

Actually, in this specific chipset, H67, the Intel board is the best one and cheapest one. its a $100 board. Cheaper boards lack features such as Firewire/esta and more expensive boards, including Asus, gigabitye, are actually lacking features too. I did the comparison. But thanks for the help.

will wait, I plan on getting a H77 board, I hope they have similar price range.

The build is for a HTPC, I will use Intel HD graphics.

Out of curiosity my current gaming PC is Q6600 + 9800 GT. I dont feel the need to upgrade yet.

for htpc, ivb should be better than sb according to all the leaks and rumors. intel is promising up to 60% increase in gpu performance (with intel hd 4000 igp). hopefully intel will also fix the 23.976 fps problem their current igpus have. ivb will also inclue widi, support up to 3 displays, quick sync 2 etc.
wait for the new platform to come out, get tested, bugs get worked out. meanwhile, save up.

Solution

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006

Yeah, I dont plan on getting a current Sandy processsor wich is already 1 year old. I can wait a few months. And altough current Intel HD graphics is already enough to play 1080P blue-ray, having a more powerful igpu will defenetly make me feel more confortable. regarding the 24 fps issue, it doenst botter me, Im happy with my dedicated Momitsu blu-ray player, but Im putting a blu-ray burner on the HTPC

Status
Not open for further replies.