Restoring to factory default

Tags:
  • Blue Screen
  • Error Message
  • Factory Restore
  • Components
Last response: in Components
December 17, 2011 1:48:39 PM

Getting the Blue Screen of Death error message at start up. Can't get an further. I tried the options under F8 and the same thing occurs. I was told that pressing Alt-F10 would start the restoration options but, they do not.
Need help
Acer Aspire 5732z Windows 7 64bit

More about : restoring factory default

December 17, 2011 5:37:26 PM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

Remove the RTC battery (Lithium CR2032) - leave it out for 10 minutes. Re-install the battery.

This will restore the computer to factory defaults.
m
l
December 19, 2011 3:03:36 PM

ALMOST! That at least brought up the ERecovery menu but just as it was loading it stopped and the blue screen came back. Going to try it again.
I appreciate the help. Really. Any other ideas would be great appreciated too.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 19, 2011 10:49:14 PM

marleybigmar said:
ALMOST! That at least brought up the ERecovery menu but just as it was loading it stopped and the blue screen came back. Going to try it again.
I appreciate the help. Really. Any other ideas would be great appreciated too.

Is your PSU in good condition? Putting out the rated output?
m
l
December 19, 2011 11:29:51 PM

Yeah. Everything looks like it's on the money. Going to try one more time and press F8 to see if I can get into the Advance menu. ugh
m
l
December 19, 2011 11:45:18 PM

marleybigmar said:
Yeah. Everything looks like it's on the money. Going to try one more time and press F8 to see if I can get into the Advance menu. ugh

Remember, when you take the RTC battery out, leave it aside for 10 MINUTES - then put it back in. Only then will the settings be factory default settings.
m
l
December 19, 2011 11:48:29 PM

Ok. Thats what I did. The first time it attempted to bring up the ERecovery menu then it crashed to the blue screen. I haven't been able to repeat it or even get close to that menu since.
m
l
December 19, 2011 11:52:14 PM

marleybigmar said:
Ok. Thats what I did. The first time it attempted to bring up the ERecovery menu then it crashed to the blue screen. I haven't been able to repeat it or even get close to that menu since.

Can you try installing a new CR2032 battery? Again, after you tale the old one out, wait for 10 minutes before you install the new battery.
m
l
December 19, 2011 11:58:53 PM

I'll try to get one. Resetting by the battery doesn't seem to want to work. So I'll look at the battery or buying the Acer CD - which really should be free. lol
m
l
December 20, 2011 2:47:05 AM

ok so my friend tells me that the computer battery referred to is the cmos battery that I'm not sure how to access. Yes i'm computer challenged. Or computer idiot.
m
l
December 20, 2011 10:55:04 AM

marleybigmar said:
ok so my friend tells me that the computer battery referred to is the cmos battery that I'm not sure how to access. Yes i'm computer challenged. Or computer idiot.

Yes, this is the RTC battery and is a Lithium cell CR2032. It is located on the motherboard. Your manual will explain better.
m
l