bazkeau

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Current system:
Foxconn AV6MX with AMD 64 X2 4400+ 2,3GHz and 3GB DDR2 RAM combined with a Sapphire HD5570 1GB LP.

I'd like to improve the graphics a little and for that I'll surely have to replace the mobo/proc/ram. I want to keep the HTPC build and for budget reasons I'd like to keep using my current graphics card. While doing some searching I've come up with basically two affordable options:

MSI A75MA-G55 mobo with AMD A8-3850 (including free 4GB of DDR3 RAM)

Advantage: 2 PCI-E x16 slots, so I might buy another HD5570 later for about €50,-
Disadvantage: I will need to buy a new ATX12V2.2 PSU

or

ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 mobo with AMD Phemon II X6 (including free 8GB of DDR3 RAM)

Disadvantage: 1 PCI-E x16 slot, so no option to expand
Advantage: No need to buy new PSU, faster overall processing.

So the question is now which of the two setups will deliver the best graphics. Don't know if the APU will work in crossfire, but I like the option open to add another graphics card to get crossfire anyway. On the other hand it might be the case that the X6 his raw processing power will be enough to get me some smoother gaming.

So please enrich me with your wisdom :)

r0aringdrag0n

Distinguished
6 cores is overkill for a HTPC. I would go with the Fusion just because it can "crossfire" the build in GPU with the gfx card. If you will be doing other tasks, then the 6 core will be better

michxymi

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
It's a bad idea to crossfire 5570. Keep it for now, and buy a better single card in the future. And why you need a new PSU with Llano platform? It's less power hungry than 1090T.

bazkeau

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011

Specs of the MSI A75MA-G55 say it needs a v2.2 PSU with a 24+4. I have a v2.0 with a 20+4. But I really don't know anything about PSU's and their compatibility. And for the gfx card I've been looking at some newer low profile models.

MSI N520GT-MD1GD3/LP
http://eu.msi.com/product/vga/N520GT-MD1GD3-LP.html#?div=Specification

MSI N440GT-MD1GD3/LP
http://eu.msi.com/product/vga/N440GT-MD1GD3-LP.html#?div=Specification

But for the untrained eye they don't seem to be a big improvement on my current one. Wouldn't it be more likely I'd achieve better graphics by upgrading my mobo/cpu? And if so, with which setup?

bassbeast

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010
But for the untrained eye they don't seem to be a big improvement on my current one. Wouldn't it be more likely I'd achieve better graphics by upgrading my mobo/cpu? And if so, with which setup?[/quotemsg]

As someone that has a P2 X6 I'd say go for the X6. the amount of headroom you have for OCing down the road and Turbocore make the X6 just crazy fast for gaming or pretty much anything else and there are rumors that FM1 is gonna be replaced by FM2 so if you are gonna risk getting stuck in a dead end socket anyway might as well take the one with the biggest bang for the buck. the Phenom cores tend to out bench the newer cores, its like how the Phenom I was a slower chip and it took them a generation to get the bugs out but if they are gonna change sockets the next gen piledriver won't be any good for you anyway.

Bottom line is few games or programs are even stressing an X3 right now and with an X6 you should have several years before CPU change. I can tell you that with turbocore the X6 really kicks for gaming and is easy to both OC and underclock, and with 6 cores it should be quite awhile before your system gets stressed by any mainstream programs or games. So for the money you have to spend i'd say the best bet is the X6.