Smart or Daft, community input required

Hi all

Anyways I have passed up the last option on a LGA1366 Combo at 50% off normal and 65% in combos, all in favour of a LGA1155 build.

I had been offered the following LGA1366 options;

GA-X58A-OC + i7 960
G1 Assassin + 17 960

Both are less than the Sandybridge combo I selected;

GA-P67A-UD4 + i5 2500K

I am wanting to know whether this was a smart move or silly in the context of the ridiculous pricing on LGA1366 combos, both the X58 boards were enthusiast level boards less than half their normal price and the CPU's were well down to, in a combo they are 60% less than normal. The Sandybridge setup I had opted for as it is newer tech and I am aware of performance and efficiency.

Ta

Solution
There's really no reason to invest in LGA 1366 unless you simply cannot afford the P67/Z68 platform. Since I take it you bought the 2500K already, that's not a problem for you. I would have recommended a less expensive board if that were your concern, but I'm loving my P67A-UD4 :D
There's really no reason to invest in LGA 1366 unless you simply cannot afford the P67/Z68 platform. Since I take it you bought the 2500K already, that's not a problem for you. I would have recommended a less expensive board if that were your concern, but I'm loving my P67A-UD4 :D

Solution
While there is nothing right with the 1st generation Intel® Core™ processors and I wouldn't spend the money to get the performance upgrade form going from an Intel Core i7-9XX to a Intel Core i5-2500K for gaming. If I were buying to a new gaming system right now I would spend my money on the Intel Core i5-2500K and a good P67 or Z68 over a Intel Core i7-960.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

I'm dying here too :D

While there is nothing right with the 1st generation Intel® Core™ processors and I wouldn't spend the money to get the performance upgrade form going from an Intel Core i7-9XX to a Intel Core i5-2500K for gaming. If I were buying to a new gaming system right now I would spend my money on the Intel Core i5-2500K and a good P67 or Z68 over a Intel Core i7-960.

Well put. Sort of what I was trying to say.

I went the Sandybridge route as to me at least there is a better future. Despite the bells and whistles on the X58 boards, I was always concerned over the future proofing with LGA 1366 on the way out. I had thought about getting a G2 Assassin board but because it wasn't at 50% off the price was not feasible. I like the Black PCB boards from Gigabyte and seems to have good performance over the Asus P67 Pro. I really am very pleased with a SB decision.

Essentially this was made to see whether it was a do-do move over ridiculously cheap 1st gen. Seems though I can rest easier now.

Thanks all. *writes names on christmas card*