I have a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... it says it has a 1600 ft range I get zero reception 200ft down the hall, no bars not even on this list I have tried on 2 laptops and a netbook. I use the netbook regurarly in my room on this router, there there some setting or something limiting the range?
More about :belkin router range
October 28, 2010 9:31:04 AM
The 1600 ft range is pure marketing --- achieved in a straight line of sight situation (doubtless in a high mountain region with reduced oxygen levels and no early morning mist).
Indoors 50ft or thru a couple of walls is good going.
You should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.
1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.