Gaming & Video Encoding - 8GB VS 16GB

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Gaming
  • Video Encoding
  • Product
Last response: in Memory
September 29, 2012 4:18:58 AM

Hey everyone, I'm thinking of getting of an extra 8GB for my build but I'm sure if it's worth the extra money.

http://www.frys.com/product/6410762?site=sa:adpages%20p...

That's the RAM I have and thinking about getting for gaming and video encoding in the background while playing video games such as Star Wars: The Old Republic, Battlefield 3, and Skyrim. And I'm talking about 15-30 minutes of video footage to put up on YouTube too. And don't laugh at my GPU because I overclocked it and it's running Battlefield 3 on High, Skyrim on High, and SWTOR... Well, it runs that game like s**t. What are you guys opinion? Thanks in advance!

-Adsuki

P.S. - My signature is my build.

More about : gaming video encoding 8gb 16gb

a b } Memory
September 29, 2012 10:50:19 AM

theres no difference between 8gb and 16gb for gaming. no game uses over 8
m
l
a b } Memory
a b 4 Gaming
September 29, 2012 2:17:36 PM

Since you can get a 2x8GB kit for ~$70 these days, I would simply get 16GB and not have to worry about it later, which would likely be after RAM prices bounce back.
m
l
Related resources
September 29, 2012 8:45:33 PM

Neon Nephyte - Read what I said better, I'm going to be video encoding in the back while playing those three games.

InvalidError - Thanks for the advice. I'll look into that. =)
m
l
a b } Memory
September 29, 2012 9:54:08 PM

video encoding using what? frankly i think encoding while playing a game is going to get messy, and you may end up with bad encode jobs from it. i ask why because there are basically 3 ways to encode videos, all of them drastically different. raw cpu, gpu or quicksync.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
a b 4 Gaming
September 29, 2012 10:26:50 PM

Depends on which video editor you use, so 'in general' more RAM is better and there's really no 'upper limit;' I've seen 128GB video Workstations. Some games can certainly fully use-up 8GB of RAM. However, the vast majority of games are 32-bit and limited to 32-bit addressing (4GB), but 64-bit games are becoming more popular.

More RAM is used than folks often realize, example 3GB-3.5GB 'Shared Memory' for GPU(s) + 1GB-1.5GB OS & Background Apps, so before the game itself launches 4GB-5GB can be used. The reason folks with less RAM don't notice is because Windows manages 'Shared Memory' and the first thing Window's does is to reduce it when memory gets tight, but ideally it's best to maximize it. Very few games show any advantages with >8GB and the handful that do are all 64-bit.

However as a note, 8GB/stick (e.g. 2x8GB) RAM can add stability issues especially those beyond DDR3-1600 CAS 9 or 10, so for most folks wanting 16GB I recommend a 4x4GB DDR3-1600 CAS 8 or 9 kit; 4GB/stick offers the least number of problems. I realize you have 'XMS' and some are good and some are not, the newer kits are better and have a high success rate when (2) two kits are used together.

Examples:
LP CML16GX3M4A1600C9 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
SP CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
September 29, 2012 10:40:22 PM

I agree with Jaquith. I have 4x4Gb Corsair Vengenance 1600 CL9 and have seen it use over 12Gb on some occasions. I have even run out once. This wasn't in a game, it was in Solidworks and when creating an animation file. So for you I recommend getting 16Gb. With more RAM, you can set up a Ramdisk for textures, or other files that need to be accessed quickly.
m
l
September 29, 2012 11:21:01 PM

Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12, Adobe Premier & Photoshop 10, Roxio Game Capture HD PRO to post videos onto YouTube. I'm also going to be using Sony ACID Music Studio 9 to record music and will be multitasking between video games, picture editing, and recording video/music. So if another 2x4 for $40 is worth the upgrade, then I'll do it. Thanks for the help guys!

Also, SWTOR has gone up to 4.1GB with nothing in the background. Battlefield 3 can easily go over 4GB. Just want to make sure I have enough RAM to not be limited. ^_^
m
l
!